MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Line types (dashed, dotted, etc)

29 Aug 2013   [#1]
As far as I understand MoI does support line types, for example you can set them for the Grid.
So I was wondering if it's possible to assign a dashed type to a line, with some inline script.
It would be handy for me.

Max
29 Aug 2013   [#2] In reply to [#1]
What sort of workflow do you envision?
Select a line and convert it to dashes?
Select two points and draw a dashed line between them?

What is the dashed lines purpose? It is not a curve anymore?

Construction lines are dashed?

- Brian
29 Aug 2013   [#3]
If you change and blend the values of the two "moi.view.lineWidth" you will obtain many variations of what do you want!

script:var v = moi.ui.getActiveViewport(); if ( v != null ) { moi.view.lineWidth = 4; v.renderToClipboard( 2560, 2560 ); moi.view.lineWidth = 1; }

29 Aug 2013   [#4] In reply to [#3]
i seriously didn't understand how you did that thing. EXPLAIN :P
29 Aug 2013   [#5] In reply to [#2]
Well I need them because I am an architect, I am often placing grids, construction guides. I want to recognize them in the project, giving a dashed look. If really MoI supports them I wouldn't mind knowing how to do them, that's all
29 Aug 2013   [#6] In reply to [#4]
If I good remember, that was not a reasonable way! :)

Something like that

Draw a line past it in the clip board Draw it on the 2D program
Change the "moi.view.lineWidth"

Draw a line past it in the clip board Draw it on the 2D program
Change the "moi.view.lineWidth"
etc...

You must better wait that Michael makes a more fluent function! ;)

PS Also maybe change lines in the Moi.ini
29 Aug 2013   [#7] In reply to [#1]
Hi Max, although MoI's graphics engine supports it (as you've seen with the Grid and the early engine test image Pilou shows above), it's not yet something that can be set on an individual object level. Setting it on an object level has to be done carefully so as not to lead to a slowdown in display performance, that's mainly why it has not happened yet. It is something that I do plan on adding in the future.

- Michael
29 Aug 2013   [#8] In reply to [#5]
Also one thing that needs to be resolved is whether the line type would be an object property or whether it would actually be a property that gets set on styles and then gets applied to objects by their style assignment. I'd probably try to do it as a style property but it would be good to know whether that would work ok for you or not.

- Michael
29 Aug 2013   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi MIchael ...

I can't speak for Max, of course, but dashed lines per style would certainly work for my architectural work.

eric
30 Aug 2013   [#10]
Same reason as Eric.
To be honest I think there should be a dedicated small palette for that, as for me now styles = materials. More like in other CAD software: line types are a property apart.
Thank you very much for your attention
30 Aug 2013   [#11] In reply to [#10]
Hi Max,

> More like in other CAD software: line types are a property apart.

It's not really universal that all other CAD software has line types only as an individual separate property, for example in AutoCAD the line type can be set on the layer and then applied to objects by their layer assignment...

Is there some particular reason why it would be helpful to have line types as a separate thing from styles? It seems like it would make sense in general if styles controlled things related to the visual display of the object, which seems related to line width and line types.

- Michael
31 Aug 2013   [#12] In reply to [#11]
No reason actually, it's just that I am used to ArchiCAD for 2D drawing. It's fine for me to be a property of the style.
In AutoCAD, it can be set both as property of the layer, or individually on each element.
I know it's not a top-priority request, but thank you for your help!
Max.
19 Nov 2020   [#13]

Hello everyone,

I too am in need of a "Dotted Line" Style for architectural drawing purposes.

Was something ever implemented for this?

19 Nov 2020   [#14] In reply to [#13]
Take a look at this entiere thread!
https://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6518.1
19 Nov 2020   [#15] In reply to [#13]
Hi Berube,

re:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I too am in need of a "Dotted Line" Style for architectural drawing purposes.
>
> Was something ever implemented for this?

Sorry no, line styles are not fully implemented in MoI v4. It's something that I do want to add in the future but for now you would need to apply those in a 2D illustration program.

- Michael