MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Death of SUB-D Artist)! (Closed)

Show messages:  1-10  11-30  31-50  51-70  71-90  91-110  111-119

31 Jul 2013   [#31]
Dont want to break the humor here, but this mesh fusion is really hot ! (and I'm affraid it makes the first video no valid anymore).
31 Jul 2013   [#32] In reply to [#31]
PaQ,
> Dont want to break the humor here, but this mesh fusion is really hot ! (and I'm affraid it makes the first video no valid anymore).

I think it's valid!
Because what you can make after you converted your object in mesh with Groboto, what??? Nothing except the sculpting.... Good base mesh for further sculpting... The cage is dense it is hard to work with this with standard polygonal tools except some kind of brushes. May be there is some option to control amount of polygons I did not see it in videos. But Any way after it becomes mesh you loose all that booleans advantages that you had...
With MOI I can do with model everything I want in any time. And after that export it in poly model..

So is it everything so cool like it on videos for serious projects? I think no.
31 Jul 2013   [#33] In reply to [#31]
Here's a better resource for video's on it. This is Darrel the developer. It is quite MORE than Booleans...

(Did he just push/pull a fillet?)
31 Jul 2013   [#34] In reply to [#33]
BurrMan,
Is it any tutorial with some serious stuff??? Not only with strange car, odd toys, strange concepts with random parts or abstract stuff? I can not see.
31 Jul 2013   [#35] In reply to [#33]
Hi BurrMan,

You are showing an old script/workflow supposed to deal with groboto mesh inside modo.
Meshfusion is a brand new beast. You dont need groboto anymore ;)

The think is that I'm not sure we have the right to really talk about it, the previous videos were sneak peak for modo users only.
31 Jul 2013   [#36]
Hay people WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT?
Just compare results of google images search:

Groboto:
https://www.google.com/search?q=google&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=ru&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=3lX5UZD6AcSxPJ_ZgdAM&biw=1097&bih=559&sei=4lX5Uaz-LoOtO6K4gJAD#um=1&hl=ru&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=groboto&oq=groboto&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24l9.1630.2908.0.3184.7.7.0.0.0.0.84.543.7.7.0....0.0..1c.1.20.img._aL6JPZ6e-U&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49967636%2Cd.ZWU%2Cpv.xjs.s.en_US.jOYpRJj4zMA.O&fp=9987dea0dd2a3a61&biw=1097&bih=559

Moi 3D:
http://www.google.ru/search?newwindow=1&hl=ru&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1097&bih=559&q=moi+3d&oq=moi+3d&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24l9.1074.2173.0.2292.6.6.0.0.0.0.113.485.5j1.6.0....0.0..1ac.1.20.img.TdBpKR1xXyw

I think everything is clear...))) Or not?
31 Jul 2013   [#37] In reply to [#36]
Not really because Meshfusion is not groboto ...
31 Jul 2013   [#38] In reply to [#35]
"""""""You are showing an old script/workflow supposed to deal with groboto mesh inside modo.
Meshfusion is a brand new beast. You dont need groboto anymore ;) """"""""""

Yes. We can only hope that Darrels Health holds up. I wish him the best.
31 Jul 2013   [#39] In reply to [#36]
PaQ

The videos are posted publicly on YouTube, so I don't think Luxology is too concerned.

Andrei

"I think everything is clear...))) Or not? "

Posting images of stuff people have created in Groboto is entirely irrelevant. They aren't integrating Groboto into Modo.

Wait until it comes out and people are actually using it to create meshes. THEN we'll talk about what it's good for and what it isn't good for.
31 Jul 2013   [#40] In reply to [#38]
"""""Is it any tutorial with some serious stuff???""""""""""

Do you mean like where a guy makes an airplane fuselage by pulling spline points around to match a picture?
31 Jul 2013   [#41]
Hi Andrei,

the images you show are from the old Groboto software and MoI. Please someone correct me, i believe that the new MeshFusion technology which is coming to MODO from the Groboto Developers is quite a different beast, assuming that this new plug-in can use sub-d meshes created with MODO and then carry out the dynamic booleans. Well, if not then it's still a nice plug-in for someone who likes it. BUT if it allows sub-d meshes created with MODO, well than this would be really awesome, imho.

Regards
Stefan
31 Jul 2013   [#42] In reply to [#41]
They haven't flat out said, to my knowledge, that any mesh will work but they have heavily implied it. It's not just a few primitive shapes like Groboto at the very least. He showed a few screen shots of what looked like arbitrary meshes being used to subtract from the main mesh (meshes with concave caps, for example).
31 Jul 2013   [#43] In reply to [#41]
futagoza,

It will be good only in one case, if all meshes can be converted to MeshFusion and back.

Good, will see when it will be released)
31 Jul 2013   [#44] In reply to [#43]
"It will be good only in one case, if all meshes can be converted to MeshFusion and back."

*head asplode*
31 Jul 2013   [#45] In reply to [#44]
WarrenM,
Good, let's put Groboto or Mesh Fusion(that is not released yet) apart if you like it use it no problem. Just don not forget to show us your results..

Back to object..
I still think that model in my first post is death for Sub-D modeler/artist that model it)

Groboto is not native Sub-D modeler it is like MOI exports poly meshes... But I'm talking about SUB-D.
31 Jul 2013   [#46]
*(In my best old man voice)*

I remember years ago some people saying NURBS were dead!

I try not to deal with absolutes, the world is FULL of surprises!!

And tools are tools.

*(Old man voice off)*
*(Old man voice off)*
*(Old man voice off)*

Dam switch is broken!
31 Jul 2013   [#47] In reply to [#45]
""""Groboto is not native Sub-D modeler it is like MOI exports poly meshes..."""""""""""

Are you sure? Or do you just not really know.

Image Attachments:
sub_d.jpg 

31 Jul 2013   [#48]
Well I have something like 10 years of sub-d modeling xp, and 2 years of MoI.

For every new project coming on the table, I still need to think about it ... what I gonna use, MoI, Modo ? Both ?
The choice is often difficult, some part will be fastest in MoI, some parts easier in sds. What about the fillets ? Do I have to use displacement on some surface ?

So yes, your 3 tubes and a sphere example perfectly match MoI strenght. A tool like Meshfusion, despite your over reacting perfomance, will probably make the speed modeling difference less obvious.

You know some people will do your modeling exercice in Zbrush in a couple of minutes too ... dont ask me, I still dont get the purpose myself, but for them, it's a valid workflow ... so no, nothing is dead.
31 Jul 2013   [#49] In reply to [#47]
BurrMan,

1. WarrenM says - "No, you can't go back once you commit the booleans" is it true Sub-D?

2. So any way if it is true sub-d modeler is it possible to import obj of any complexity without modification like retopology and modify them ?
31 Jul 2013   [#50] In reply to [#48]
PaQ,
As I can see there is some kind of misunderstood, noticed it just now...

I mean death not for sub-D like software or method of modelling. I mean MAN - MODELER. I mean this figure I made will kill him! I meant death for modeler/Artist not method!!!
Method is good I know a lot of GREAT stuff that was made with Sub-D.
Once again not method SUB-D but MAN who model it)))))! I think it takes a lot of time to model it in Sub-D, so it's "death" for man that will think - My God I have to model it...
Hope now you understand me)

Show messages:  1-10  11-30  31-50  51-70  71-90  91-110  111-119