MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Autodesk Fusion 360

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-67

6 Jul 2019   [#41] In reply to [#40]
Hi Michael,

I know Moi can export in wide range of formats but it seems like when you want to import curve data into Fusion 360 then the only supported formats are DXF and DWG...so i have tried DXF but i just cound not make it work properly. I am sure everything is perfectly fine on Moi side so it is obviously something on how Fusion reads that data and i am trying to figure out why it happens.

moi3d curves >

fusion import >

Image Attachments:
fusion.jpg  moi3d.jpg 

7 Jul 2019   [#42] In reply to [#41]
Hi klaudio, can you please post the .dxf file so I can take a look and make sure it's ok?

That is weird how some curves seem to be going over but not others. Is it possible that some are on different z levels instead of z = 0 ?

Looking at it a bit more is it not reading curves made up of all line segments? MoI does export those as a POLYLINE entity instead of a SPLINE entity. Maybe it's not reading POLYLINE entities from the .dxf file although that seems like a strange thing to do.

One thing you could try would be to use Edit > Separate and then do the export - that will then make individual LINE entities which maybe it will like better.

Another thing is you can try turning off writing simple entities, that's in moi.ini under [DXF Export] UseSimpleEntities=y , if that is set which is the default, then MoI will write a curve as a LINE, CIRCLE, ARC, or POLYLINE entity when possible to do so rather than as a SPLINE entity.

- Michael
7 Jul 2019   [#43]
A google search of: "fusion 360 polyline import problem" brings up lots of problems importing (or inserting?) .dxf into Fusion 360, even in the year 2019,
from other programs than MoI.

Another link, Sept. 2018: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-import-DXF-files-in-Fusion-360.html
states that:
"Issue:
You would like to insert a DXF file into Fusion 360.
Causes:
DXF files cannot be directly opened in Fusion 360, they must either be inserted into Fusion 360 using the Insert > Insert DXF tool in the Model Workspace or uploaded through the data panel:"
(There is more information...)

- Brian

Link, re using Online Data Panel of Fusion 360:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-import-or-open-a-file-in-Autodesk-Fusion-360.html

Scaling:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Imported-DXF-file-in-Fusion-360-is-not-to-the-correct-scale.html
7 Jul 2019   [#44] In reply to [#42]
Thanks guys for quick suggestions and help.

Michael i have tried some of you suggestions and it seems like it is working fine now and it has imported correctly after i turned off writing simple entities in moi.ini and set under [DXF Export] UseSimpleEntities=n.

Let me know if you would still like me to send you the .dxf file if you want to check.

Other then that...all good now. Thank you a lot!
7 Jul 2019   [#45] In reply to [#44]
Hi klaudio, that's great that works. Yes, if you still have a .dxf that didn't work can you please send it over to me at moi@moi3d.com , I would like to take a look at it and see if there's anything wrong with the polyline entities in it. But maybe Fusion 360 just does not read them in.

Thanks, - Michael
24 Jun 2020   [#46]
Fusion 360 becomes multilanguages ;) (Italian & French ;)
Minutes 3.55...

16 Sep 2020   [#47]
Seems Free Fusion 360 don't allow more classic Nurbs format export ! :(
Did I understand correctly?

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/changes-to-fusion-360-for-personal-use/
16 Sep 2020   [#48] In reply to [#47]
yes, no more export en STEP format
but not only this option...
Fusion 360 for Personal Use is now unless > you must PAY !
17 Sep 2020   [#49] In reply to [#48]
Maybe this can help ? https://anyconv.com/f3d-converter/
For convert a .f3D file

Not yet tested!

Curious : Tested ! Says only STL in the Head of a Popup Menu but infinite waiting for a simple cube.f3d !
So don't works for the moment!
Try other writing STEP in the top Menu : same result! :)

Tryed with an OBJ file - big list of possible convertions : but same no result!
OBJ to STL YES
OBJ to STP (who is in the PopUp Menu of the OBJ file) NO ! :(
17 Sep 2020   [#50] In reply to [#47]
Hahahahahaha....

The big lie comes to fruition....
17 Sep 2020   [#51] In reply to [#50]
some famous economist once said..

No such thing as a free lunch...

Even worse when they take the plate away from you.
17 Sep 2020   [#52] In reply to [#51]
"""""Even worse when they take the plate away from you.""""""

And if you read the article, they blame YOU for the move.....

You know your chain is being yanked when autodesk refers to itself as "a startup"..... lol...
17 Sep 2020   [#53] In reply to [#52]
Indeed that article is so direct doesnt mention money once.
The AIBS(tm)- artificial intelligence BS translator computed:

"
For seven years we led you to believe X Y Z. Now let's get back to ABC.
Weve done enough acquisitions and now want to acquire full control over that
other 'cash cow'. Its you, but please dont worry.
"
28 Sep 2020   [#54]
Well, it looks like they reversed the STEP export restriction: https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/changes-to-fusion-360-for-personal-use/ so it is still usable in the short term.

But i agree with everyone, there is no free lunch, especially with Autodesk, and I wouldnt continue depending on it , if it had been part of my workflow.

Dinos
28 Sep 2020   [#55] In reply to [#54]
Not so bad for complex Fillets inside Moi ! ;)
28 Sep 2020   [#56] In reply to [#55]
Does anyone know if the "pcb" part of Fusion is basically a full version of EAGLE ?
28 Sep 2020   [#57]
Autodesk was giving Fusion for free to grow a users base and hurt concurrence.
It's harvest time now :) ...

What I find amazing is the reaction from some users, like they cant give more than 10 or 20$/month or so for a product like that ... no problem to spend thousands in computers and other machinery, but software has no value ?
Anyway I would think twice before using this product, even if easy filleting is tempting, I prefer to support local farmers :O)
28 Sep 2020   [#58] In reply to [#57]
Hi Paq,

3 years ago almost purchased a 3d printer and I just about held back with trying Fusion
even though the feature set looked really good.

I'd pay for software no issues but when the route map is not clear or there is guessing
likely I'd never invest...

Investing is time from the user, not just their money to support the developer/s.
Its looking more promising that Autocad are flexible enough to eat humble pie and
do some u-turns maybe.

Do you think they will remove .step in 2021 or is this set in stone now??

I dont sell crystal balls either.
28 Sep 2020   [#59] In reply to [#58]
If the income doesn't grow as expected, and too many people are still using the free version, they will continue to cut the features to find the good balance.
28 Sep 2020   [#60] In reply to [#58]
Or, Autodesk realized they havent crushed enough competition and people still had options to move away to!!!
(I wouldnt invest ANY business into "subscription" services...)

But hey, all the "holy cow" filleters are ACIS based filleters. Autodesk. Spaceclaim, etc...

Even "PunchCAD with ViaCAD..."

The big dev on Autodesk's branch off and spaceclaim etc, is the error and stop point handling.

So I can buy ViaCad and get awesome filleting for my MoI advanced fillets. I just have to work past cryptic dialogue popups and some back and forth with the sizes that just dont work, where the expensive stuff is more graceful in those areas...

So, ACIS based filleting for $99? You bet!!!

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-67