MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Convert an ArtCAM relief file to 3dm

17 Aug 2012   [#1]
There are a number of ArtCAM relief files available for download, which can be converted to a useable format,
if a person owns the pricy program. Without the program, was unable to find any conversion program, as the .rlf files
are copy protected in various ways. Using the ArtCAM2011 DemoExpress, with screen capture, conversion to 1600x700 BMP,
processing by ZSurf4, an IGES model is formed, which can be imported into MoI. (ZSurf4 calls the IGES model a NURBS model, which may be
incorrect?) As far as I know, this is OK to do. (?)

This is the test Eagle. (PNG minified)

Image Attachments:
TestEagleInMoIMINI.png 

17 Aug 2012   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Brian,

> (ZSurf4 calls the IGES model a NURBS model, which may be incorrect?)

Well, IGES files usually contain NURBS object data in them so that sounds correct.

NURBS is more the name of the general type of technology, not a specific file format name all by itself. OpenNURBS is another name of the 3DM file format though, and NURBS data can be stored in any of the 3DM, IGES, STEP, and SAT formats that MoI can open and save.

> As far as I know, this is OK to do. (?)

I would think so, especially if you're using it for your own work. If you were building up a library of things to sell or distribute to other people then I'm not sure.

- Michael
17 Aug 2012   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thank you.
19 Aug 2012   [#4] In reply to [#2]
Hi Brian

I've been playing with ZSurf4 and it does work, but the files it make have 10,000s of points (well the look like they do :) and they do not always handle boolean functions very well. ) , I've been using photos I've taken my self or images I find at http://commons.wikimedia.org and even then, licensing still needs to be looked at. :)

I've also been looking at files available http://www.vectorart3d.com, but they are in stl.... So I'll doing most of my work in MoI the exporting to OBJ, then import to hexagon, import the STL relief and place it when it needs to go .... :) then export the finished product in STL, files look OK, but I have not tried getting the results wax printed and cast yet .:)

cheers, Steve
24 Aug 2012   [#5]
I use Zsurf quite a lot and get pretty good results. Why not just skip ArtCAM altogether?
24 Aug 2012   [#6] In reply to [#5]
I was attempting to convert existing .rlf files to a useable form.
26 Aug 2012   [#7] In reply to [#6]
RLF is proprietary to Artcam. I believe it is a 16-bit greyscale heightmap file, although it may contain additional info now. It does not represent actual 3d geometry, although it may be converted on export to STL (or other 3d format) or to toolpaths by ArtCAM's machining software.
26 Aug 2012   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Thank you chrisd. I'm giving up on .rlf for now. Read that it is encrypted.