MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Insufficient Memory Export Issue

Show messages:  0-19  20-21

10 Aug 2012   [#1]
I searched these discussions, but didn't seem to find a suitable match.

I have a relatively complex .STEP file that which I need to export as a .OBJ. However, I can't even get close to doing so, because every time I start the export process, I get the "insufficient memory" error.
I'm using a new 12-core Mac, with 16-gigs of RAM, so I'm surprised this is an issue. Further, I was able to take the same exact .3dm file into Rhino, and successfully export the needed .OBJ file.

Is this a known bug with the export process?

Thanks!
10 Aug 2012   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi sneather, MoI is a 32-bit application and so it's not able to make use of your entire 16 gigs of RAM.

If MoI is running out of memory while processing a particularly large file usually the best method is to do the export in some separate pieces instead of trying to do it all at once. You can do that by selecting some pieces and doing a File > Export - unlike "Save As", Export will only write out the selected objects instead of everything so that can help to reduce memory load.

Also if the object has a whole lot of little tightly curved pieces in it, that will consume quite a bit of memory for display mesh generation when it is loaded.

You can lighten the memory load somewhat by changing a setting to use a rougher display mesh, that's a setting under Options > View as described here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4643.2

Setting the "Mesh angle" to a rougher angle like 25 degrees and unchecking "Add detail to inflections" will make for a somewhat rougher looking display but also lighten up the density of the display meshes and that can help reduce memory consumption by quite a bit on more complex models.

Also there is another issue which is that MOI makes use of multiple CPU cores when doing the mesh generation, which helps for speed but also tends to increase peak memory consumption as well. You can disable the multi-core processing by going to Options > General and push the "Edit .ini file" button. In the text file that comes up, go to the [Mesh Export] section and find the setting for ThreadLimit= and put in ThreadLimit=1 and that will disable the multiple core use for export which will make it slower but also consume less memory at any one point in operation.

So those are some things you can to help avoid running out of memory during mesh export - do the export in sections instead of all at once, switch the setting to make a rougher display mesh to consume less memory when loading the file, and also turn off multi-core use for the export meshing.

- Michael
10 Aug 2012   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thank you for the options. I'll try some or all of those.

In regards to selecting multiple objects in order to do batch exports. Being that this is a complex piece, with hundreds of layers, is there an easy way to select a group of objects, export, then turn them all off with one click, so I can proceed to grab a new set of pieces?
I can't seem to do that in the object browser. It seems that I have to turn the visible eyeball icon off for one layer at a time.

Finally, are there plans to release a 64bit version for Mac in the near future?
10 Aug 2012   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi sneather,

> is there an easy way to select a group of objects, export, then turn them all off
> with one click, so I can proceed to grab a new set of pieces?
> I can't seem to do that in the object browser. It seems that I have to turn the
> visible eyeball icon off for one layer at a time.

The easiest way is probably not to use the scene browser for that part - you can also use the Edit > Hide button separately or in combination with the scene browser controls, it will directly hide all the currently selected objects rather than just one category of things like the scene browser controls are oriented towards.

It's the button here:

So for example do a window select to grab some chunk of objects, then do File > Export to export just those objects, then you can push Edit > Hide to hide those currently selected objects and then go select a new chunk.

If you push Edit > Hide when there is no selection it will show everything, and if you right-click on it it does an "isolate" where only the selected objects will remain visible and others will be hidden instead and when you right-click on it a second time it will restore to the pre-isolate state. You can also do a Ctrl+click on it, it will do a "show subset" operation where it will temporarily show you all the hidden objects and let you pick just some of them to be shown when you're done selecting rather than showing everything.

> Finally, are there plans to release a 64bit version for Mac in the near future?

No, unfortunately there is a huge amount of work involved in doing that so I'm not likely to have a 64-bit version of MoI anytime soon, sorry.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
hide_button.jpg 

10 Aug 2012   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Great. Thanks, again!
11 Dec 2014   [#6]
I have this problem... I cant even export part of the object im working with if I go below 12 on angle...

The whole cad file itself is only 26 megs which is relatively small.

I did not have this issue with much larger CAD in the trial for 2.0 and 3.0.

Moi shows its using only 354MB... what gives.
11 Dec 2014   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Seth, is it possible for you to send the file to me at moi@moi3d.com so I can take a look at it?

You will probably need to use a file sharing service like dropbox, etc... and send me a link to it.

There isn't much information that I can give you without seeing your particular file, that sounds like an unusual problem on a not too heavy file like you're describing but maybe there is some unusual geometry in the file like some kind of super tightly folded surface which is generating a huge mesh.

But anyway since your problem is likely to be specific to that one file I would pretty much need to see it to give you any better information.

- Michael
2 Nov 2016   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Michael, I've been running into the insufficient memory issue as well, despite having 100GB of RAM.

I've followed the steps above (limiting to one proc, exporting in small chunks, etc) and they've helped - to a certain extent. At a certain point some models are just too complex.

Any chance we're closer to a 64-bit version, that can take full advantage of my RAM?

Thanks!
-Justin
2 Nov 2016   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Justin, yes a 64-bit version v4 beta release is not too terribly far off now, it's difficult for me to estimate how long very precisely so any estimate is probably wrong but my best guess despite that would be 3 or 4 months from now.

Just yesterday I've completed porting all the file IO libraries for stuff like skp, pdf, dxf, 3ds, and fbx formats. So that was actually a pretty big milestone.

The biggest single area left is the viewport display code. I have some miscellaneous loose ends to tie up first then I'll be left with the viewport display as the last big chunk of work to do.

- Michael
2 Mar 2017   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Same issue here. Any ideas when it's going to be released? :)
Thanks!
2 Mar 2017   [#11] In reply to [#10]
No specific target date yet, but my "todo" list for it is getting quite short now.

- Michael
20 Oct 2017   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Hi Michael,
I just found this awesome piece of software. Any word on the 64-Bit version. I like others am running into memory issues.

Fred
20 Oct 2017   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Hi Fred, re: 64-bit version - I'm getting really close to releasing the first 64-bit v4 beta. I'm targeting the end of this month for the release. I think I'll be able to hit that target but it's possible it could take another week longer.

- Michael
20 Oct 2017   [#14] In reply to [#13]
Hi Michael,
That is awesome!!
Are you planning on making the beta available to users? I would love to participate.

Fred

P.S. I wouldn't mind even giving an alpha a test-drive. Your program is brilliant.
20 Oct 2017   [#15] In reply to [#14]
Hi Fred, yes the v4 beta will be open to all v3 users. You won't have to do any special application for it, there will be a web page where you'll be able to put in your v3 license key to download it.

- Michael
21 Oct 2017   [#16] In reply to [#15]
Hi Michael,
I am new to the software and am still in the trial period. Is it possible to go ahead and buy the new version to participate in the beta?

Fred
21 Oct 2017   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Hi Fred, I'm sorry but no I don't have any way set up to purchase the new version in advance. It won't be until after the v4 beta period is over and there is a final release out that v4 will be able to be purchased.

- Michael
21 Oct 2017   [#18] In reply to [#16]
Hi ..
I would suggest that you purchase V3 now and then you can participate in the entire year of so of the new beta before V4 is actually released.
MoI 3d is an absolutely wonderful modeling program and the Forum the best forum I have ever seen. I have been using MoI for years and could not live without it.
I'm really looking forward to participating in V4 beta.
eric
23 Oct 2017   [#19] In reply to [#18]
Hi Eric,
That looks like what I will be doing.

Thanks,
Fred
4 Nov 2017   [#20]
My learnings in case it helps anyone else....

Indended work flow
Solidworks exported as STEP, MOI converts to lovely quads in FBX import to Cinema4D

Insufficient memory thing really hampered anything complex.

Exporting IGES from Solidworks instead of STEP gave me very similar results in the end, but was much less susceptible to the 'insufficient memory' barrier

Love Moi, really hope we see V4 soon

Show messages:  0-19  20-21