MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Testing v3 for vehicle modelling

Show messages:  1-8  …  29-48  49-68  69-88  89-108  109-116

11 Aug 2012   [#89] In reply to [#87]
Hi Martin,

> I've got to ask you though, are you a designer who loves programming - or a
> programmer that loves modelling ?

Do I have to pick just one label for myself? ;)

If I had to I guess I would pick the latter with an emphasis on programming. But one of the things that I tend to like about working at a smaller scale rather than as part of a large corporation is being able to do more multifaceted work instead of being focused in a narrow area.

But at the same time programming as a craft tends to require a lot of focus on it specifically since it's so easy to mess up.

- Michael
11 Aug 2012   [#90] In reply to [#88]
Will do - Time permitting, and thank you for heads up, the cost is more like my pocket can afford to spend without having to convince myself i have done the right thing - lol

Martin
12 Aug 2012   [#91]
Todays progress and fun time with rendering, I must say that I have not had this much enjoyment from rendering and modelling for years. I think i have found MY tools for the foreseeable future ... I know I have goofed the filleting around the side indicator/signaller light fitting but hopefully by the time i have finished with the rest of the fillets and making things have more depth you wont notice so much.

Comments as always are welcomed

Martin

Image Attachments:
untitled.10.jpg 

13 Aug 2012   [#92]
Got some more done today, and the front sections are almost totally complete. Just the disc brakes to do and some little mapping bits like the bonnet/hood badge.

Martin

Image Attachments:
untitled.15.jpg 

13 Aug 2012   [#93] In reply to [#92]
Nice and shiny, Martin!

It looks like it could have stealth anti-radar abilities. ;-)
13 Aug 2012   [#94] In reply to [#93]
The last few Lamborghini designs have all had that stealth look about them, but their latest has even been inspired by jet design, apparently, but it is a truly stunning piece of automotive design and engineering, see what you think http://www.lamborghini.com/en/models/special-and-limited-editions/aventador-j/overview/

I am still working on the design side of my model at the moment, that body paint is to shiny but I will sort that when it gets to final render, if it ever does - lol.

Martin
14 Aug 2012   [#95]
Nearing completion now, well for what I wanted to do. Disc breaks still to model, and a few more fillets and blends. Hope you like it.

Martin

Image Attachments:
untitled.18.jpg  untitled.22.jpg  untitled.23.jpg 

16 Aug 2012   [#96]
Discs are now added and reverted to an older wheel - Never modelled a calliper before so this should be interesting, but here's a sample wheel and discs combo. Default settings for OBJ and IGES in the clay renders, and a straight iges import and render. My suggestion for anyone using KeyShot, use iges export from MoI unless you like playing with mesh detail settings ;)

Martin

Image Attachments:
untitled.25.jpg  untitled.28.jpg 

16 Aug 2012   [#97] In reply to [#96]
Now that's a well-done, high-tech looking tyre!

Great job Martin!
16 Aug 2012   [#98] In reply to [#97]
Hi Mike, shame I cant take credit for the modelling, it's the wheel i got from grabcad but hey ho, my wheel really did look kind of tacky so i just swapped this one to see how it looked , the result is shown below ...

Martin

Image Attachments:
untitled.33.jpg 

17 Aug 2012   [#99]
Well more progress made, but still not done... As far as I can tell the following external features still need doing;

1. Wiper arm and blade.
2. Door release handles.
3. Lamborghini name tag on the rear.
4. Callipers.
5. Sneaky spot lights that hide behind the front air intake grills.
6. Some more softening of those hard lines.
7. Fuel intake.

If you know of anything else other than the interior stuff give me a heads up, or you could offer comments of course

Martin

Image Attachments:
Reventon-Test-01.35.jpg  Reventon-Test-01.39.jpg  Reventon-Test-01.40.jpg  Reventon-Test-01.43.jpg  Reventon-Test-01.45.jpg 

18 Aug 2012   [#100]
Very very Nice, it`s a very good Work.
18 Aug 2012   [#101]
End of play today, front wings, doors and front have all been softened. The problem with the Hood/Bonnet is the trim line is i the wrong place, it should have been on the next contour up, but then that would have thrown the badge positioning out, so I will settle for where it is this time, I will be coming back to this Lamborghini at some stage, but for now i will plod on and keep testing MoI and KeyShot and working with IGES files. Tomorrow should see the softening of the edges on the rear sides and possibly some more modelling, well see how time pans out.

Glad you like it Zarkow

Martin

Image Attachments:
untitled.50.jpg 

21 Aug 2012   [#102]
Still working on this, but so close to finishing it i can almost smell it.It's a shame my 3d skills are not better as this model screams out for an interior too. But two test renders today, one stealthy matt colour and one deep Laguerre finish ...

Martin

Image Attachments:
Reventon-Test-02.68.jpg  Reventon-Test-02.69.jpg 

21 Aug 2012   [#103] In reply to [#102]
When can I test drive it? Beautiful.
eric
21 Aug 2012   [#104]
Do you know this guy ? see his tuts
http://www.etereaestudios.com/docs_html/nixus_htm/nixus_index.htm
http://www.etereaestudios.com/docs_html/sentinel_htm/sentinel_index.htm

21 Aug 2012   [#105] In reply to [#104]
Hi Pilou, thanks for the reply and the link, I have seen this chaps work before but most of his tutorials are in Spanish, but he does do good stuff. I like to read tutorials but prefer to do things my own way, most tutorials I have tried following in the past are for other software, and although their style works for them it's pretty alien to me, so i tend to run into problems and just settle for trying things my way until i get it right. I will at some stage try an old car with plenty of reference pictures of the interior,and then hopefully i will get the hang of the principles and the ratios involved if that makes sense.

All the best

Martin
22 Aug 2012   [#106] In reply to [#104]
That looks great....

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)
23 Aug 2012   [#107]
Well this is as far as i can go with this until my skills improve, the callipers look yugh so i have angled the renders to disguise them hehehehehe the wiper blade i modelled was terrible and I deleted it away, the little spots behind the grills, i can't be bothered with, they would be easy to do but to be honest I have lost interest in the model for now, and instead I am going to concentrate on doing car parts for the give away content area and for my personal use, hopefully these will develop my skills to a point where i can do an interior on a future project.

Sorry if this leaves you feeling let down, but i am sure many of you will know where i am coming from ...

I missed isocurve when i started this - but v3 beta has it now, along with twist and flow, all we need now is bend. I am glad I found my way to MoI and I have enjoyed this project, now to find an old car design with lots of pictures of the interior. I will still be visiting from time to time, more so when i start designing the decking for the wife's emergency exit.

Martin

Image Attachments:
Reventon-Test-03.71.jpg  Reventon-Test-03.72.jpg  Reventon-Test-03.73.jpg  Reventon-Test-03.74.jpg 

23 Aug 2012   [#108] In reply to [#107]
Hi Martin, well it looks really great - nice job!

- Michael

Show messages:  1-8  …  29-48  49-68  69-88  89-108  109-116