MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Testing v3 for vehicle modelling

Show messages:  1-8  9-28  29-48  49-68  69-88  89-108  109-116

16 May 2012   [#69] In reply to [#67]
Hi BurrMan i have been pulling it apart filleting and blending for hours and still can't get to go right - When this happens i know it's my fault again, I have goofed somewhere, but I don't know where, then you get the added problem of when fillet has been used the edges get uneven edges on two faces so you start adding trim lines again and then other edges end up as fragments and it just get real messy real quick - :)

Martin
16 May 2012   [#70] In reply to [#65]
Thanks for the reply Mike - I have been trying for hours to get the spoke looking right - I thinks it's time i slept on it - 2:44 am here and i have a 7am start, but feel free to have a play, I don't want to cheat and use some one elses work, but need a pointer as to the order of doing things.

Martin
16 May 2012   [#71] In reply to [#68]
Hi Martin,

> Sorry Michael, I should have provided instructions to get to the
> shape - But here's the spoke ...

Ok, but I don't entirely understand where you're trying to put fillets in that model right there - in this new file that you've attached the spoke is a separate object and the wheel is in some separate pieces from it, which are not solids.

So it's definitely not ready to fillet as it currently is, being in all separate pieces like this.

I can see several problems with the geometry that you have so far here though, which will make things really difficult to fillet - one right off the bat is that there is only a very teeny-tiny amount of space available in this area here:

The way filleting works is that a fillet can only fit in the available room immediatley surrounding the edges that you are trying to fillet - it won't be able to cross over some nearby edge that is not actually part of the fillet chain where a fillet is trying to run along. So that means for example in your case here there would only be room to fit a super tiny sized fillet radius along that area before it collided with the nearby edge above it that you see highlighted in the second image.

If you want to get fillets on something like this you need to have a construction configuration that allows enough room for fillets to fit between pieces, so basically you can't have edges from different pieces coming so extremely close to one another where the pieces intersect with each other.

There just is not much chance that stuff like that with narrowly grazing pieces is going to be filletable in MoI at least.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
martin_wheel_fillet1.jpg  martin_wheel_fillet2.jpg 

18 May 2012   [#72]
I abandoned the photo and went for artistic licence instead, sadly the result still causes me some problems but as long as i don't do a close up render they should be fine, but i definitely need more practice with these rimms!

Image Attachments:
Reveton-moi-v3-09.jpg  Rim-001.jpg 

18 May 2012   [#73] In reply to [#72]
I was meaning to get this off to you to see if it would spark something, but it looks like I'm too late.

But also, the rim you got looks great too!
19 May 2012   [#74] In reply to [#73]
Thanks for the post, I need to watch that again soon - There were some things you did with the little pointy bit that I didn't get, also with the arc at the beginning too. But I am going to be rushed off my feet this weekend, so probably won't get the chance to try it again until after the marriage. I like your style though, you make it look easy, so i must be over-thinking it.

The moor i like at the photo the more it seems to be that the spokes are like a sleeve fit over the rim and the end parts attach to the hub, but then the blends and fillets unite it all together there after. If you look at the rim, and the section between the spokes, you can see how one seems to be lofted and the other appears to be a blend or fillet. I will hone my skills some more and have another go in the future, but for now, it will do. The file size is 71mb so far when combined and there is still the tyres to detail and more grills to do so I am guessing it will end up 100mb plus in size and then I will know how well MoI can cope with my crabby style, which is not clean enough to keep the file size down, but i will master it at some stage!

Once again, thanks for the video, it will help, by the way does it have audio this time, or am i a plugin missing from my new install ?

Martin
19 May 2012   [#75] In reply to [#74]
Hi tpwUK,
There is no audio. I think audio was on and recorded, but I didnt speak in it, so you arent missing anything...

I dont know if I would pay too much attention to the arc rotation in the begining... I think it could be drawn correctly to start, but I kindof just slopped through it and did the rotation thing.
20 May 2012   [#76]
I don't normally do this, but since i have posted a tyre design on here before, you can see i know how to do one already, but i found a wheel rim and tyre from another modelling site and it was in iges format so I thought why not indeed, test MoI with its iges support, the result is pretty good. The original tyre was modelled by joze dwardo, so i thought i had mention that !

With these parts in place the model now grows to 99.7Mb

Martin

Image Attachments:
Reveton-moi-v3-10.jpg 

1 Aug 2012   [#77]
I will get round to this again soon, it's not abandoned, I just dont get much time since my wife has had her medications shuffled a bit.

? Michael G. - Has there been any changes in the mesh generating from this v3 beta to the April one. Silly question to ask but, if it's changed then perhaps I should re-start the project again to give the new beta more of the surfacing to do since there is very little to do here now ?

I will try and get this finished by next weekend. Nearly forgot to mention but the new Beta does indeed handle the screen quicker. I cant get frame rates to display so can't measure any other way than by how it feels to me with mouse rotations etc.

Martin
1 Aug 2012   [#78] In reply to [#77]
Hi Martin,

> ? Michael G. - Has there been any changes in the mesh generating from this v3 beta to the April one.

You mean in the Network command? Nope, no changes recently but there might be for the next one depending on how some experiments turn out.

- Michael
1 Aug 2012   [#79] In reply to [#78]
Guess that means I should hurry up and finish this then!

Thanks Michael

Martin
3 Aug 2012   [#80]
Still working on this, and the latest beta handles the 103Mbyte file quiet nicely, still needs a few things doing to it, but I wont be doing the interior - lol. Discs still to be done along with front lights, bonnet/hood details, inner wings and wiper(s), then It's gonna be fun rendering it up.

All the best guys - comments are welcome

Martin

Image Attachments:
Reveton-moi-v3-11.jpg  Reveton-moi-v3-12.jpg 

3 Aug 2012   [#81]
Well Done, very nice, Render please....:-)
4 Aug 2012   [#82]
Not as much done today as I had hoped for, but the wife had jobs she wanted doing and therapies she needed to have, but at least I found some time to play, as always ... comments welcome

Martin

Image Attachments:
Reveton-moi-v3-13.jpg 

4 Aug 2012   [#83] In reply to [#82]
Take your time Martin... your family takes priority of course. The inspiration and time will come sure enough.

I envy you, making a car is my "holy grail". I'm suffering from some kind of mental block that puts the ability to do that just out of reach and I feel that I'm not quite there yet.

Fantastic job so far, It's looking really nice!
10 Aug 2012   [#84]
Hi all ....

Hey there Mike, your modelling skills are far superior to mine, just cars is all i ever seem to model other than landscaping projects, which I have not done since my wife suffered HAI, but MoI is going to be used soon to design a new decking area for my own back garden so that we can have a fire escape if needed and so she can get out in the garden and have some privacy while soaking up a few rays....

Speaking of rays, here's a couple of test renders done with V-Ray for SU, but I have a problem or ignorance, not sure which, probably the latter, but despite exporting as OBJ and 3DS and importing into SU, the object names (layers ?) don't seem to get imported and neither do the material (Styles names) ... Which is a pain, but at least the 3DS seems to get converted to components and can be grabbed as big chunks. I have been trying with Blender too, but the geometry is huge on import and despite changing clipping etc, my camera disappears and I cant see it anywhere, but that's a Blender problem not a MoI one ...

Martin

Image Attachments:
Test-Render-001.jpg  Test-Render-002.jpg 

11 Aug 2012   [#85]
Found a renderer that suits how I do things, now all i have to do is convince my friend that he don't need his copy of KeyShot ....

What do you think of these test renders, keep in mind it's the first i have played with it, if i can't convince him to part company with his copy - he don't hardly use it - then i have to convince myself that the pro version is like 10 times the cost of MoI !

Now to try and find time to finish this model ... I'll keep ya'll posted

Martin

Image Attachments:
Reventon-2008-Test-001.jpg  Reventon-2008-Test-002.6.jpg 

11 Aug 2012   [#86] In reply to [#85]
Hi Martin, so is that a KeyShot render there? It's looking good!

- Michael
11 Aug 2012   [#87] In reply to [#86]
Yes, that's a KeyShot render, It's pretty quick too. I am going to play with it for a few weeks and determine if it's worth shelling that kind of money out for it, but it's even easier to use than V-Ray. I like software that I can dive straight into and get good results, just like MoI, I don't want to have to take a degree just to render a picture and i most definitely don't have the time to study these days, so have another big thank you from me for producing MoI.

I've got to ask you though, are you a designer who loves programming - or a programmer that loves modelling ?

Martin
11 Aug 2012   [#88] In reply to [#87]
Hi Martin, take a look at simlab composer also, it much less expensive and I think it uses components of the keyshot renderer, so it's quite fast.

Marc

Show messages:  1-8  9-28  29-48  49-68  69-88  89-108  109-116