MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Testing v3 for vehicle modelling

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  …  101-116

25 Apr 2012   [#1]
So far so good - Flaws are in my modelling accuracy and not MoI.

I don't get too much time to play so the 2 colours = 2 days, I usually goof vehicles up when it comes to the trims, cuts and detailing. But vehicle design in MoI is a doddle compared to Rhino, so many thanks Michael - It's a wonderful tool.

Lamborghini Reventon 2008

Image Attachments:
Grab-02.jpg 

25 Apr 2012   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Looks really nice so far TpwUK!

Michael T.
26 Apr 2012   [#3]
Still working on this but it's getting the time that's more of the problem here. Still shouldn't moan - Here's end of day progress ....

Image Attachments:
Grab-03.jpg 

26 Apr 2012   [#4] In reply to [#3]
It's starting to come together well Martin!

I'm glad that you are having fun using MoI!

- Michael
26 Apr 2012   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Thanks Michael. I deliberately chose a Lamborghini for this test as they have some sharp angular surfaces and subtle curves. I was thinking it would be a tough job for MoI, and my lack of skill at surface modelling has had me back peddling a few times, but fixing things and making little tweaks here and there is just so darn easy in MoI. I just did a test render in Rhino/Vray (couldn't resist a sneak peek), what was surprising though is that two of the surfaces that have been given some depth and weight to them report as bad ojects in Rhino, but they still render. The eventual conclusion to this project is Blender import and cycles render after seeing what the other guy achieved with his razor project.

Image Attachments:
Test-Render-001a.jpg 

26 Apr 2012   [#6] In reply to [#2]
Thanks Michael, glad you like it ... so far. I normally goof them up at some stage so this will be interesting to see if i can complete it.

All the best
Martin
27 Apr 2012   [#7]
Hi Martin,

WOw very start and a good model for moi.

Like to see more :)
28 Apr 2012   [#8]
My partner has been very demanding of my time so not much done over the last couple of days but i am detailing parts and adding volume to others....

Image Attachments:
Clay-002.png  Grab-04.jpg 

28 Apr 2012   [#9]
Hi there,

You should put one color for your model and put another color for the background. this way we can see the model better.

:)
29 Apr 2012   [#10] In reply to [#9]
It's not really a render as such, it's a matt finish that's like a clay model so you can see flaws in surface continuity easier, when i have more of the surfaces joined up then i will set it up better and do different shades before trying my luck with Blender & Cycles. But thanks for the feedback and encouragement ...

Martin
29 Apr 2012   [#11] In reply to [#10]
. wrong thread...
30 Apr 2012   [#12]
Why does this always seem to happen with me and Nurbs .... Time to start again me thinks with a new strategy, again

Any ideas are welcomed, and needed!

Martin

Image Attachments:
Image2.jpg  Image4.jpg 

30 Apr 2012   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Hi Martin, you mean that those surfaces are not meeting up?

How are you creating them, by something like a sweep? If you're doing a sweep make sure that you're not doing something like only selecting a single profile just on one side of the sweep - if you want a sweep to match up in between 2 different shapes then you need to select both of those shapes as profiles for the sweep so the sweep has not just a start profile but an end profile as well.

When you have both a start and an end profile for the sweep, the sweep will gradually morph between the 2 shapes through the traversal of the sweep.

If you give it only a single profile on one side, then the other end of the sweep is generated purely by movement of that one starting profile along the sweep rails, and that may result in some other kind of shape at the end of the sweep.

If you're still having a problem with it or the above explanation does not make any sense to you maybe you could post an example single surface that's not working like you expected so that I can look at it and give you some advice.

- Michael
30 Apr 2012   [#14] In reply to [#13]
Thanks for the offer of help Michael, I have this same problem with rhino too, which is why i came to MoI, so i know the problem is with me and methodology - No formal training so i must be missing something with the theory of it all :)

If you go back to the start of this thread you will see the two surfaces that have been zoomed in on on my last post, that they are sitting nicely aligned - The surfaces are either sweep or network surfaces, but they are fine. Once i start to slice up the surfaces (trim) for where the doors should be and to round off creases etc, then for whatever reason these surfaces start to move around as if by magic, I have tried ShrinkTrimmedSrf but it don't make a difference. The problem is I don't know when it happened or how, but because all the other trims, blends and fillets are done, and because i use surface edges rather then new curves where possible, the original alignments are gone.

On grab-04.jpg the right had trim line for the door has shifted the remaining surface segment from alignment without me noticing, but that one is easily repaired with control points or by deleting and using the new edge that got inserted during the trim process, the other surface - image4.jpg also shows how it has altered the surface curvature some how too.

The area shown in image2.jpg is perfectly fine in grab04.jpg despite having the trim going through part of the surface, but then some how during the process of;

Trim
Offset
Loft edges that need fillet
fillet corresponding surface
delete offset surface
join all surfaces created to keep everything as a group

Somewhere during that process it's changed it's position as if some sort of elasticity that held it in place has gone. I know it must be my technique. I don't single side sweep as i know it creates problems with continuity and accuracy, when i try doing vehicles I only use sweep, loft or network as you don't get many planar surfaces in vehicles as you already know. Is there a book you would recommend for me to read that covers Nurbs modelling rather than the maths, the theories and algorithms are way too heavy for my feeble brain ...

Many thanks

Martin
4 May 2012   [#15]
Finally got round to trying this vehicle again (been busy organising my wedding) - So this time i have not joined any surfaces and it's done as a patch work quilt thing. As can be seen I just have free-form surfaces with no depth or mass to them. If there are any experienced car modellers here, when should I trim ? should i Join before trimming or after ? Should fillets and Blends be done before trimming ?

With thanks ... Martin

Image Attachments:
Grab-05.jpg 

4 May 2012   [#16] In reply to [#15]
Hi Martin, congrats on your upcoming wedding!

re: when to trim - that would likely depend on what particular piece you are planning on trimming.

Usually you woudl want to use trimming fairly early in the process, but you usually do trimming when you have modeled larger extended pieces to then remove some material from the single large piece to make the final boundaries. When you model in a kind of patchwork way where you actually have constructed individual surfaces that go around different contours and holes then usually that is something that handles features separately from doing trimming.

Usually though you will get a higher quality result buildling a smaller number of larger surface pieces and then trimming those to produce some of the edges in the final result rather than doing a patchwork type process. The patchwork process will make for a complex topology of a lot of interior edges in the final result and you will likely have a lot of pieces that come to shallow angles to one another - either of these things tends to make filleting difficult.

- Michael
4 May 2012   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Thanks Michael - Can Moi take a number of sub surfaces and join them up so as to be able to do a Rebuild on the joined surfaces into a new single surface ? Or would be better off duplicating the edges as curves - joining them and then rebuilding those for new sweeps and networks ?

Martin
4 May 2012   [#18] In reply to [#17]
Hi Martin,

> Thanks Michael - Can Moi take a number of sub surfaces and
> join them up so as to be able to do a Rebuild on the joined
> surfaces into a new single surface ?

No, MoI does not yet have any mechanism for doing that, that is something that I want to add in the future though.

For now the main way to avoid making fragmented sub surfaces is to do the rebuild on your starting curves, so that you have longer initial starting curves that you use for creating the surfaces initially.

- Michael
4 May 2012   [#19] In reply to [#18]
Thanks Michael. Guess that means another re-start and shift in logic then ... I thought it went too easy when i started this ... :)

Martin
4 May 2012   [#20] In reply to [#19]
Hi Martin, well not necessarily, depending on what you want to do next...

If you are already satisfied with how your model turned out with the patchwork method then that could be ok to keep it as-is.

But you mentioned filleting in particular - you could run into difficulties doing filleting with that current model. I'm not really sure which particular areas of the model you plan to fillet though, could you maybe give some more specific information on what the next steps are that you were planning to do with it?

Just in general vehicle modeling is one of the more challenging and advanced types of projects to undertake, by the way.

- Michael

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  …  101-116