MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Gillette razor Mach3 recreated with moi3d

Show messages:  1-16  17-24

20 Apr 2012   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Sorry I didn't put it which format.It is OBJ exporter.
20 Apr 2012   [#18] In reply to [#17]
So OBJ format? Because on your image you uncheck the IGES option :)
20 Apr 2012   [#19] In reply to [#18]
Thanx I didn't noticed it is for igs.Thanx for telling me that.Sorry
I'm preparing my model for selling on 3d stocks,but I'm not sure if I use polygonal exporters for that job.I see the improvements when exporting my model as I explained you,but it is a little bit risky.I will keep experimenting with obj exporter,and if I find better exporting solution I will let you know.
27 Apr 2012   [#20] In reply to [#19]
Sorry, I'm a little late to this thread, but I'm interested in the topic. I normally use Thea Render for paid work but out of interest downloaded blender to see the new cycles renderer. Normally I export as Ngons and it looks in Thea the way it does Moi, so I tried the same method in Blender 2.63 RC with an old model, and the results are interesting. The mesh doesn't look the best, but it seemed to render ok. I don't know what I'm doing in blender, but I tried the node materials, which looks like it has a lot of potential. Attached are the results below. I also rendered using the GPU and 500 samples took 1min 40sec at 1080p. I'll give some organic models a go and see what happens as far as texturing goes.

Image Attachments:
GB_Blender.png 

27 Apr 2012   [#21] In reply to [#20]
It looks awesome blade_master777.Sometimes I'm using even 1000 samples for rendering to remove noise.I don't know how is your knowledge with blender is,but you could check on blender cookie how to render with new realistic blender render cycles.Unfortenatly I can't export it well to blender from moi3d.It is the blender's issue not moi.Most satisfied results gave me lwo exporter in lightwave version 7,when we talk about polygonal exporters.Nodes looks complicated,but there are a lots of possibilities to achieve different results.Here is the link for rendering a car with cycles,if you want to achieve better results.

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2012/04/06/rendering-a-sports-car-in-blender-cycles-part-01/
27 Apr 2012   [#22] In reply to [#21]
Hi koleos,

Thank you for the link, I'll have a look. My knowledge with blender is a total of about a couple of hours or so. Downloading, clicking on things, import model, attempt at texturing, and then rendering. I did get on yutube to see how to do things, and then copied those actions. So really, I don't know it at all. A friend told me about cycles and that I should try it out. Then I saw this thread and I thought I'd give it a go. After reading what was said about blender and normals here, I was curious to see how bad it was. I was pleasantly surprised.

I exported with default Ngon settings in Moi. See image.

Is your blender knowledge good? Can blender display normals? And if so, how does one go about doing this on an imported model? I was also reading about a thing called Bmesh, which apparently handles Ngons. From what I've read it seems it's only from internally generated poly's.

Thanks again for the link.

Image Attachments:
GB_Export.png 

28 Apr 2012   [#23] In reply to [#22]
Blender can display normals. In the properties panel scroll down to mesh display and click on the little cubes under the word Normals: it displays vertexs and faces.
You can turn the imported faces into Ngons select vertices edges or face (X dissolve)
I find the default material that imports into blender with an OBJ is annoying but you can delete it.
I have also found importing a STL into blender is easier to deal with than an OBJ. just because of the material that is assigned to the mesh. It is easy to turn the tri's into quads (ALT-J)
to make normals consistent Ctrl-N

Oh yes, if you use blender 2.49 the OBJ importer imports the Ngons correctly (as seen in moi export preview window).
29 Apr 2012   [#24] In reply to [#23]
Hi Val2,

Thanks for that. (ALT-J) certainly cleans the mesh up nicely. I will try STL as well and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip.

Show messages:  1-16  17-24