MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Shortcut to Toggle Grid

22 Feb 2012   [#1]
Apologies in advance if this has been covered or is easily discoverable elsewhere. Can someone help me get a shortcut to just quickly toggle the display of the grid? I've searched and can't find it, and my feeble attempts to make it myself all fail.

Thanks,
fleetfoot
22 Feb 2012   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi fleetfoot - there are 2 pieces to the grid, the grid lines and the axis lines.

Do you want both of those to toggle on and off with a shortcut key? If so then paste in this script as the command part:

script: /* Toggle grid and axis lines */ moi.grid.display = !moi.grid.display; moi.grid.showXYAxes = moi.grid.display;

- Michael
22 Feb 2012   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Micheal,

Wow, that was quick!
Actually, I don't mind the axis lines, but I find the grid distracting at times and it takes 3 clicks to turn it on or off right now, which draws attention away from the task(s) at hand.

Perfect - I just took the first part and it works fine. - Thanks!

-fleetfoot
22 Feb 2012   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi fleetfoot - you can reduce the number of clicks by going to the "Grid Snap" button, then press the mouse and keep it held down, drag upwards (which will trigger the little flyout menu) and release the mouse on the "Show grid" checkbox.

So that's more like one click and drag type motion.

If you want to do a shortcut that only toggles the grid lines and leaves the axis lines alone, that would be:

script: /* Toggle grid */ moi.grid.display = !moi.grid.display;

- Michael
22 Feb 2012   [#5] In reply to [#4]
I don't know how but I've missed learning that little trick.
Those are the kinds of things that make using MoI so much fun and so fast!
I do like a shortcut though because sometimes it's handy to be able to toggle it whilst in the middle of some other operation like dragging, rotating, or scaling for instance.

Thanks again.

-fleetfoot
22 Feb 2012   [#6]
Hey Michael,

I read your interviews and the background and discovered we are both Microsoft alumni. I worked at MS at the same time as you. I was there from 2000 - 2007 and worked in the Home & Entertainment Group, HWDEV, on WebTV, UltimateTV, XBOX and XBOX 360. At the time we mainly used Pro-e and some SolidWorks. Now I work for a medical equip. company that makes robotic radiosurgery systems for cancer treatment.

Cheers!
fleetfoot
22 Feb 2012   [#7] In reply to [#6]
That's cool fleetfoot! And your new work sounds really cool too - "robotic radiosurgery systems" sounds like interesting sci-fi type stuff!

- Michael
22 Feb 2012   [#8] In reply to [#7]
It is very hi tech. Actually it's called the "Cyberknife"

It's ironic that it's the first place I've ever worked where I hope people never have to encounter it, except as a technological item, because if they do it means they've got the big "C". But it works on almost all cases if caught in time. The company is named Accuray. Check it out if you have a few spare moments. It's very interesting stuff.

-fleetfoot