MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: New Mac OSX public beta Jan-31-2012 available now

Show messages:  1-20  …  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-103

21 Mar 2018   [#101]
I have "MoI v3.2 trial.app" in my Applications folder. When I run MOI I get
"ERROR! cannot write to info.plist, there are permission problems, or you are on a read-only volume.
This cannot run from within a read-only dmg file."
What do I need to do?
Is there a search function for this forum?
21 Mar 2018   [#102] In reply to [#101]
I have found the search feature.
I have found previous posts that describe my exact error message. However, they suggest a fix I have already done. So, I still need help. Is there a trial of version 4?
21 Mar 2018   [#103] In reply to [#101]
Hi statfi,

re:
> "ERROR! cannot write to info.plist, there are permission problems, or you are on a read-only volume.

This is due to a new security mechanism in recent Mac OS versions that forces app bundles to be read only if they have the "quarantine" flag set on them which they will if they have been downloaded. This interferes with MoI v3's operation, resulting in this particular error message. Usually this happens if you try to run it directly from the Downloads folder and goes away if you move the app over into the /Applications folder. But it's a fairly brittle mechanism, the operating system will only clear the flag if you move it using drag/drop in Finder, not if you move it by some other means like by command line. Is it possible that applies to how you moved it?

The security mechanism is called Gatekeeper path randomization and there is some more information on it here:
https://weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2016/06/29/sierra-and-gatekeeper-path-randomization/

Another way you can probably solve it is by manually removing the quarantine extended attribute from the app, like this:
https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2012/11/20/clearing-the-quarantine-extended-attribute-from-downloaded-applications/

This won't happen anymore in v4, the Mac version for MoI v4 has been significantly rewritten and restructured so it no longer needs to modify the app bundle's info.plist file and isn't troubled by being read only. Currently v4 is in beta release available to existing v3 users. There won't be a trial version of it until it's finished and the final release is available. I'm not exactly sure when that will be yet, maybe something like Fall this year.

- Michael

Show messages:  1-20  …  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-103