MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Funny thing at the opposite of Moi ;)

Show messages:  1-20  …  121-140  141-160  161-180  181-200  201-220  221-240  241-260  …  2661-2664

9 Dec 2017   [#181] In reply to [#176]
Hi Finema and Pilou.

Thanks for help :)

Ok.

I've made some considerations.

1) The "Lite" version is not good for me. 1920x1080 is too small. I need "print" resolution (at least A3 300 dpi 3508 pixels x 4961)

2) I'm evaluating the "Pro" version.
During the next days I will test it.
But for sure one thing that is not very good for me is that SimLab is CPU bound while some times ago I've invested my money in a powerful Gtx 1080 Ti,
and I've not invested in a multicore CPU. I have a good i7-7700K.

Actually I already have Thea Render, a blazing fast CPU+GPU rendering engine.
I need a rendering engine that should allow me to use this particular superspeed workflow for rendering of 3D concept models :
I don't want to waste my time in Retopo/UV/Texturing.
I need a rendering engine that should take the exported obj models with mid/high poly count and simply applying premade materials over them and render in one shot.

With Thea Render I can already do this thing with good results.

I want to see if the rendering quality of SimLab with that particular workflow is sufficient for me.
If so, I will accept its "slowness" of CPU bound and I will get a "Pro" license.

I will let you know.

Thanks and have a nice day.
9 Dec 2017   [#182] In reply to [#181]
Hi Marco
What kind of rendering do you want?
Personally, I use keyshot for my renderings of objects, bottles or packaging.
I have tested Simlab Composer 8, and I find the rendering to be quite correct. But nothing replaces the professional rendering of keyshot.
That's my humble opinion.
9 Dec 2017   [#183] In reply to [#182]
Hi Finema.

Thanks for sharing.

@You : "...What kind of rendering do you want?..."

First of all I have to say that KayShot is too much expensive for me and also it's CPU bound.

With that said...

As I said in my previous message I need to perform a particular workflow.
I don't want to waste my time in Retopo/UV/Texturing. These tasks takes too much time for doing "quick" concept rendering.
I need a render engine the that can take the "raw" obj files mid/high poly ocunt exposrted from Moi and/or 3DCoat or other packages
and applying over them premade materials that shoud give good rendering results even if the model has no UV.

All depends on this particular point : giving good rendering results with "raw" objects without any UV map.

For example the rendering engine should not create strange and bad seems or stretch too much the material applied over the objects.

I'm already using other two redner engine for this particular task :

1) Thea Render. It has the main advantage of ultrafast GPU+CPU calculation.
It also offers good rendering quality even with NO Uvmapped objects.

2) 3D-Coat : Some of you already knows how I use 3D-Coat.
I import in 3D-Coat the "raw" objs and I "voxelize" he objects using a very high poly count.
Then I apply "shaders" to the voxels and perform the rendering using the built-in internal 3D-Coat render engine.

No photorealism here and rather simple materials, but very very fast workflow. The fastest possible workflow on a PC.

OK.

With that said, now I want to see how SimLap Pro can deal with NO Uv-mapped objs and what is the rendering quality using its premade material databse.

If the results will have a good rendering quality I could even get rid of the fact that it's CPU bound, and get 1 Pro license.

I hope I made myself clear enough :)

Ciao!
9 Dec 2017   [#184]
In case of Sim Lab Pro versions you have also access of some animations processus! ;)
9 Dec 2017   [#185] In reply to [#183]
Take a look at Octane. Very fast with CUDA video cards.
eric
9 Dec 2017   [#186]
Renderers! One of my favorite subjects! :)

In my many years as a 3D geek I've used these renderers, in chronological order:

01: Sculpt 3D (Commodore Amiga).
02: Turbo Silver (Amiga).
03: Imagine (Amiga and MS-DOS).
04: 3ds Max Scanline renderer (Windows).
05: finalRender for 3ds Max (the first Global Illumination renderer I tried, back in 2000 or so).
06: V-Ray for 3ds Max.
07: Maxwell for 3ds Max.
08: Mental Ray for 3ds Max.
09: iRay for 3ds Max.
10: Blender Render (formerly known as Blender Internal)
11: Blender Cycles (this is one of the two renderers I still use).
12: Luxrender (connected to Blender).
13: Pixar's Renderman (connected to Blender).
14: Keyshot (this is the other one of the two renderers I still use).

On a side note: I've left out the NPR renderers I used in the course of time. :)

To my personal experience, Keyshot is the most user-friendly renderer I've used so far, and Maxwell is the most photorealistic renderer I've used so far. But it's not merely realism I like to see, it's eye-pleasing visual dynamics I'm looking for. Each renderer has its own typical qualities. At the moment I like the look of Cycles and Keyshot renderings the most. But I'm always interested in exciting new tools.

Regards,

Metin

———————

visualization • illustration • design • 3D (print) models — https://metinseven.com
11 Dec 2017   [#187] In reply to [#186]
Hi Marco,

please have a look at Octane web ( https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/results.php?v=3.06.2&sort_by=avg&filter=gtx%201080%20ti&singleGPU=1 ), your graphic card has very good bench mark results, so you can try Octane and compare it to Thea Render, your test in forum are very useful. (+1)

Octane is excellent fast render engine ( https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/ ), it has predefined materials, of course, and rendering settings is similar like developing photo from raw file. For instance Octane has predefined colour settings according the most known film materials, (Agfa, Kodak, Fuji) and Octane use node editor for creating scene and materials, so it can be advantage for you as well, maybe.

Max and Zarkow use Octane as well ;-) , but your render via Thea and 3D Coat are nice as well, maybe it will be useful for all of us to start new thread "Rendering, tips and tricks", where we can share rendering and MoI settings or general experiences with rendering sw under one thread "roof"

Ciao
Mik
11 Dec 2017   [#188]
Hi Mik,

it seems that you use Octane as well... One question i have about Octane, Zarkow's renderings look very often bad
due to it's severe aliasing artifacts in high contrast areas, which then ruins his otherwise good models. Does Octane
not properly solve those or are his rendereings more like draft renderings, depending on settings in Octane?

Regards
Stefan
11 Dec 2017   [#189] In reply to [#187]
Hello Mik.

@You "...please have a look at Octane web ..."

Thank you very much for your suggestion and sharing.

But...unfortunately, beyond all the technical aspects that are very important, I have also to consider my actual budget :)
$399 is too much for me now.

For this year (and at least for beginning of 2018) I think I've spent almost all my budget that I saved for "computer related things" :)

Now I have these 4 rendering packages :

1) Thea Render : Fully GPU support with its "Presto" render engine. But I still have to dig into it too see how it can deal with my requirements
2) Blender 2.79 : Very good results with its "Cycles" on the Gtx 1080 Ti and also it's totally FREE!
3) 3D-Coat : It's built-in rendering engine is rather limited but good enough for quick rendering of high-poly-count voxels.
4) InstantLight : a brand new ultrafast realtime rendering engine that works very well with the Gtx 1080 Ti. But I have to dig into it.

And I'm also testing Simlab Composer Pro. It's only CPU bound and even if my i7-7700K is still the best "4 physical cores" CPU of the market,
it has only 4 cores, so it's not comparable with other CPU with lots of cores (some i7 or ThreadRipper or Ryzen or i9 etc...)

But, beyond the "budget" aspect, I still have to continue to test Thea Render and SimLab too see if these packages can deal with my MAIN requirement,
that is :

Getting very good rendering results, with NO UV-MAPPED Objs.

This is absolutely my MAIN requirements.

I need to make things fast.

Modelling with moi and 3D-Coat is a superfast task, but all this speed is totally penalised if ,after modelling, I need to (maybe Retopo)/UVing/Texturing

The UV/Texturing phase is the killer point for me.

I want to create 3d sketches/concepts very quickly and render them with good results.

In that stage I DON'T NEED Photorealism.

I will use these quick renderings into my 2D works and creations, working on them both with my PC and with my iPad Pro.

So...at the end of the day, now I want to see if Thea Render or SimLab can perform this task with sufficient/good quality of rendering results :

1) Import a mid/high poly-count obj (or ply) WITHOUT ANY UV/Textures
2) Apply material to it from their database of premade materials
3) Perform high-res renderings (at least 4960x3508 A3 300 dpi) with transparent background and see if they have good results (NO bad seems, no too much material stretching, good refraction/reflections)

I hope that in the next days (or better...nights) I will be able to get a final decision about SimLab, to see if I can spent $99 for a Pro license,
or at least I hope to understand if my actual licensed copy of Thea Render can do the same job (using my GPU).

I will let you know.

I hope that my final considerations will be useful for other guys that like me are exploring the workflow I've talked about.

Have a nice day to everyone.

P.S. last minute google search...

I have to dig also into this topic "MATCAP MATERIALS withing Blender Cycles and/or Blender base Render engine"
I have also a license of "Filter Forge 6" so it's very easy to create a database of MatCap materials.

Ciao!

Marco (mkdm)
11 Dec 2017   [#190]
If anyone needs photorealism, I can also recommend Luxrender, a photorealistic renderer that offers several different render engines. It's completely free, open source, and it connects to Blender, SketchUp and other 3D editors very well, with dedicated free plug-ins:

http://www.luxrender.net

Regards,

Metin

———————

visualization • illustration • design • 3D (print) models — https://metinseven.com
11 Dec 2017   [#191] In reply to [#188]
Hi Stefan,

yes, I am user of Octane as well.
I started new thread regarding rendering in general, so we can try to solve this issue there :-)
May I ask you to send into new thread an example of aliasing artefacts which you mentioned in last post?

Thank you.
Mik
11 Dec 2017   [#192] In reply to [#190]
Hi Marco and Metin

I think it will be much appreciated to share your following experiences regarding renders here http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8728.1

Thanks.

Ciao
Mik
11 Dec 2017   [#193] In reply to [#191]
Hi Mik,

i don't want to post as an example, in the new thread, images from him without asking for permission... ;-)

But if you examine the metallic parts in his dragon mesh, especially picture 3, once downloaded, you will
probably see many areas which have aliasing issues.

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8699.1

P.S. o.k. his 3rd image says, once downloaded, draft, but i'm not sure if this is a rendering mode in
Octane or he named it draft, because of the visible ground plane.

Best regards
Stefan
11 Dec 2017   [#194] In reply to [#191]
Hi Mik.

@You : "...I started new thread regarding rendering in general..."

Perfect!
Thanks!
11 Dec 2017   [#195] In reply to [#192]
Thanks for the pointer Mik, I'll post my renderer babble there as well. :)
12 Dec 2017   [#196] In reply to [#193]
Hi Stefan,

I've tried to answer here http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8728.15

Mik
12 Dec 2017   [#197]
Don't ask Santa Claus for a box of Lego at this end of the year! :)

Create your object in the official Lego Designer http://ldd.lego.com (free)
Export it as ".ldr" format

Launch LeoCAD http://www.leocad.org (free)
Open your ".ldr" object

Save as Waterfront ".OBJ" format

Import it inside Moi3D with _ImportOBJ by Max SMirnov

et voilà :)

PS You can win a Step in create Lego Object directly in Leo Cad! ;)

The same in SketchUp! ;)

Of course, it's the real brick!!!

13 Dec 2017   [#198]
Forgotten the notice(s) of construction ! https://www.lego.com/fr-fr/service/buildinginstructions?cmp=brand-fr-legocom-kac-oct-16--cpcs-notice%20l%C3%A9go-co-crt-fr-notice
(for English version Click the flag up right corner page) ;)
Can be useful! :)
and some piece in direct downloding http://www.traceparts.com/fr/search/legor?CatalogPath=LEGO

13 Dec 2017   [#199]
Hello everyone!

...a little experiment of some new workflows I'm testing : Moi + Affinity Designer + iPad Pro (Affinity Photo + Procreate + Snapseed + Pixelmator)

The starting point ...

Final result!

Ciao!

Marco (mkdm)
13 Dec 2017   [#200] In reply to [#197]
Cool!!

Thanks Pilou :)

Just included "Lego Designer" into my "funny" alternative pipeline!

Show messages:  1-20  …  121-140  141-160  161-180  181-200  201-220  221-240  241-260  …  2661-2664