MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Moi and Ubuntu

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-105

22 Mar 2012   [#81] In reply to [#80]
Hi Pilou, well there seems to be several layers to the problem with Blender vertex normals.

The first layer is that the OBJ importer just ignores vertex normals from the OBJ file.

But even if that one particular thing is fixed, there are some more problems like whenever you enter edit mode, vertex normals are discarded and recalculated and even more problematic is that whenever you go to a render the vertex normals are again discarded and recalculated then too.

So just getting them imported is only one of the problems.

Here for example someone opened a bug that any vertex normals that were actually imported are discarded if you just go to edit mode and back out again without actually doing anything, and the bug was rejected:
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?group_id=9&atid=498&func=detail&aid=26405

There was an extensive discussion of this on the forum here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4272.1

- Michael
22 Mar 2012   [#82]
Well to be honest i don't mind loosing blender, the new 2.6 release has done me no favours with it's new gui, and it's modelling is not that intuitive to me, it's kinda gone Autodesk on me and just yugh, I am getting on in life and like software I can use without reading 400page manuals and don't require a degree just to find the tools i need. Rhino and MOI fit the bill nicely, but I am starting to see the greed factor developing in Rhino and having to spend money on new windows platforms every 5 years has become tedious, it's OT for this thread i know but i don't really do 3D renderings of garden designs for many clients, but i like to play at car design and rendering so if anyone feels like adding a free or cheap standalone rendering app for Linux into the equation then feel free to do so ... I am really close to grabbing the debit card ;¬)

Martin Spencer-Ford
22 Mar 2012   [#83] In reply to [#82]
Hi Martin,

I used to dabble in Linux for a while, but then made a rule for myself, if it doesn't work out of the box forget it, I can do more interesting and productive stuff with my time instead of trying to work out how to get something running on an un-native platform when it already runs perfectly on another, that's just me.

Anyhow here's a free renderer that runs on Linux, http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/standalone

Cheers
22 Mar 2012   [#84] In reply to [#83]
Thanks Danny, I don't mind tweaking and playing with the guts of OS's - I have been around computers for a long time (Yawn), things might be native to an OS but you generally find you still need to tweak things here and there to get the best from them. But I do expect an artistic tool to be quick and easy to learn. Rhino was like that, but it just feels as if it's loosing its way. Alias is like way too expensive and the learning curve isn't even a curve if you know what I mean. I was trying out MOI but sadly my partner suffered a severe brain injury and I never got to finish my trial period, however the little time I got to play impressed me quiet a lot, a single person development showing a consistent logic to the tools and just being able to play and find things was fun but intuitive.

Thanks for the render engine - I scoured the net last night and found several multi-platform ones so I am going to try some over the next few days and see how they work out.

Many thanks to you all

Martin Spencer-Ford
25 Oct 2013   [#85]

Just for fun, I recently revived a 10-year-old PC by installing Linux on it (Ubuntu 13.10 running lxde or xfce depending on how I am feeling at the moment). I had a few display driver shenanigans to sort out early on to get anything to run acceptably, but overall it's been a smooth transition. One of the biggest tests (and a major win, in my opinion) is to see if I can run MoI using WINE. I am happy to report that with my first try, I launched MoI and it runs really well - definitely usable in a production environment.

Performance has been so good, my goal now is to repeat the process on my wife's old Dell laptop which has been gathering cobwebs. It's pretty fun to breathe new life into old hardware and to actually make it useful and productive again.

25 Oct 2013   [#86] In reply to [#85]
Thanks for the report SurlyBird.

I recently installed Linux Mint 13 on a low cost Acer laptop. MoI runs well under Wine on that system too.

- Steve
25 Oct 2013   [#87]
I have Xubuntu on a very old PC latop just for the Net and kow absolutly nothing about Linux...
What does I must install for running Moi on this config ?
And this necessary need many memory more? I have just 256 Megas ram !

Moi works very fine on the XP part! :)
25 Oct 2013   [#88] In reply to [#87]
Hi Pilou,

> What does I must install for running Moi on this config ?

You have to install a program called "Wine" which can then let you run Windows programs on your Linux machine.

But if your laptop is very old you may have some difficulty getting OpenGL drivers to work very well on it. Also 256MB is a pretty small amount of system RAM, it's fairly likely that you will run out pretty easily.

So I'd say chances are not too good on a such a very old machine like that.

- Michael
25 Oct 2013   [#89] In reply to [#88]
so okay I will not test that! :)
The xp partition is suficient for run MOi with pleasure! ;)
11 Jun 2014   [#90]
I know this thread is kind of old, but it seemed the appropriate place for this question.

I've been using Rhino for a few years and really like it; in fact it's the one thing that's holding me back from getting rid of Windows completely. That said, I've been looking for an alternative off and on that I can run in Linux. I downloaded the trial of MoI (Windows v2.0) and I have to say it's really nice. I think it could replace Rhino for almost all of what I need it to do, and I'm thinking I might just take the plunge now that I'm reading it works well under Wine.

My question is regarding video cards -- my laptop is a Thinkpad with Intel HD4000 (I believe, it's either that or HD5000) graphics. Has anyone tried running MoI v3 on a similar setup under Wine in Linux, and how does it work? I don't want to buy it only to find out that I can't actually use it on my computer under Linux.
11 Jun 2014   [#91] In reply to [#90]
Hi Dan, I don't remember specifically hearing anything about someone running on that particular video card, so I can't be sure right now if it will work or not. It all depends on the quality of the graphics driver.

You may need to wait until the v3 trial version is out so that you could test it yourself before you will know if it will work or not.

- Michael
11 Jun 2014   [#92] In reply to [#91]
Michael,

Thanks for the quick response. Is there a projected release date for the v3 trial yet?

Dan
11 Jun 2014   [#93] In reply to [#92]
Hi Dan, I don't have any specific date set for sure yet, but I'm hoping it won't be too long. Maybe something like the end of the month if all goes well.

- Michael
11 Jun 2014   [#94] In reply to [#93]
Oh, that's great. I thought it might still be far off into the future. I will keep my eyes on it for sure.
5 Jul 2014   [#95] In reply to [#93]
Just because I'm impatient, I tried to run the v2 trial under Wine, and it actually works great! All I had to do was set up a new 32-bit wineprefix (actually, I'm not sure if the 32-bit was necessary) and install IE8 through winetricks. I've been playing around with it and haven't found any real issues, plus it runs nice and smoothly. So apparently Intel HD4000 graphics is fine. Can't wait for v3. :)

By the way, the model in the screenshot was something I did a few years ago in Rhino 4.

Image Attachments:
moi_v2_wine.png 

5 Jul 2014   [#96] In reply to [#95]
Nice one!
12 Oct 2014   [#97]

Hi,

I installed Moi V3 on Ubuntu 14.04 using Wine 1.7 on an older 32bit Dell Latitude D830 Laptop. It installs and runs, but the fonts are not displaying correctly. They appear as if a white layer is overlaying on top of a black text layer.
I don't know how to post a screenshot here but thought I'd just ask if anyone is familiar with this issue?
Thanks,
Fleetfoot

12 Oct 2014   [#98] In reply to [#97]
Hi Fleetfoot, is it the same thing shown in this post here? :
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6875.59

It seems to be a bug in recent versions of Wine, looks like something to do with text anti-aliasing.

You could probably avoid it by using an older version of Wine, see here for some links to setting that up:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6875.61

- Michael
12 Oct 2014   [#99] In reply to [#98]
Thanks for the reply Michael.
Actually what I'm seeing is worse than that:

It looks like a black font being overlayed with a white font.

The rest of it seems to work ok though.
Fleetfoot

Image Attachments:
Screenshot from 2014-10-12 13:48:56.png 

12 Oct 2014   [#100] In reply to [#99]
Hi Fleetfoot, hmmm yeah that looks pretty weird. Probably something to do with the same area of Wine that was causing the previous problem though.

If you can get a build of wine-1.4.1 going and run MoI under that wine-1.4.1 prefix instead of the current version that would probably work better.

- Michael

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-105