MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Fillet solutions

7 Apr   [#1]
It seems that many people are having trouble with 'fillets'. First, I want to define a condition where surfaces come together to form a sharp corner, and the object is to round that corner. This is where a 'fillet' is the solution. But this is a special case. Quite often, surfaces converge but do not meet. In these cases, it is necessary to trim the surfaces, making a hole, and then fill that hole with a new surface that ties the others together. When done, the solution looks like a 'fillet', but it is a different animal. What I want to say is that these two types of problems can be solved beautifully with the tools that we have. You don't need 'better' tools, and you don't need to look elsewhere for solutions. You only need to learn to use the tools that you have. I'm not saying that this is easy. There are a multitude of configurations that you may encounter, and each one is in some sense unique, and for this reason no algorithm is going to work in every case. But it doesn't matter, because our tools can be applied generally, and produce a Desired result. I stress 'Desired', because, even when an algorithm will work, it only offers One possible solution. What you want, may be something different; and you can get what you want by taking the more general approach. I show you here part of a much larger model, just as an example of what can be done.

Attachments:
Fillet solutions.3dm

8 Apr   [#2]
Test with the free Vizcom :)
Screen shot of the Moi3D object
Input Image
Then Render with a reference image to control the style and textures in your renderings.

8 Apr   [#3]
And this serial(s) about Surfacing etc...

11 Apr   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi Tim,

Nice work!

So, what's you're specific process for constructing these "fillets"? How do you trim the adjoining surfaces to define the extent of the fillet? Are you using Construct > Blend to generate the fillet surfaces, or something else?

It looks like you're avoiding solid operations, like booleans, entirely and I'm curious why.

- Peer