MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Issues with importing STEP files

3 Apr   [#1]
We are using MoI for importing STEP files that we then use in other software.

From time to time we have issues with geometries that look very different to what we expect to see.

I added two screenshots:
- One from a STEP import in MoI
- Another one with the same model, imported directly into Cinema4D (with unfortunately bad triangled polys)

Is there anything i can change before/while importing models into MoI?

Thanks for your tips in advance,
-Stephan-

Image Attachments:
C4D-Import.png  MoI-Import.png 

3 Apr   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Stephan, what version of MoI are you using?

I'd recommend testing with the current v5 beta which you can get at https://moi3d.com/beta.htm .

STEP translation is unfortunately a difficult process because different CAD programs can represent trim boundaries in pretty different ways.

When MoI imports a STEP file one of the tricky parts is it has to cut trim curves where they cross over the seam of a closed surface like a cylinder or torus. That can be a sensitive calculation.

There have been improvements in v5 for that though so I'd give that a try first.

If you still are running into problems if you can send me the file at moi@moi3d.com I might be able to figure out how to improve the import.

Another thing you can try is to use CAD Exchanger to convert from STEP to .3DM and then import the .3DM into MoI.

- Michael
3 Apr   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hello Michael

Thanks a lot for your quick answer!

I already tried it in MoI5 (i used MoI4 before) but the result is the same.

Thanks for offering for investigating our recent file - but in this case we are not allowed to, since there is a strict NDA in this project.
The same goes for the 3D Exchanger Upload – which we cannot use because of this reason.

I will try to find another solution – since there is mainly one +/- simple type of objects that causes these issues.
I'd say, it should be doable by remodelling this part and instancing it where its needed...

Thank you,
-Stephan-