MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: How to fix this extrude

2 Apr   [#1]
I am having trouble extruding a curve. The extrusion ends up appearing straight on the curve, but you can see that the program thinks the curve should be part of the solid.

Attachments:
testtop.3dm

Image Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 2.36.36 PM.png 

2 Apr   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Charlie,

That's just a display artifact. The geometry itself is fine. If you change Options > View > Mesh Angle from 10 to something like 1 you'll see an instant improvement.

But leaving it at 1 might slow down navigation depending on your graphics card.

- Peer
2 Apr   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Charlie, also some more info here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=10580.2

- Michael
3 Apr   [#4]
I was initially thinking it was a display issue, but guess I was being thrown off by the STL export also being incorrect.

Image Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 9.08.51 AM.png 

3 Apr   [#5]
Same problem, same answer...

Visualisation with 10 param gives you problem.
Export with angle at 12 gives problem.

You have to choose a smaller angle and/or divide faces to fix the problem.

With very small objects, I use angle at 3
Divide larger at 1 on all type of faces
and avoid smaller than 0.3

For your object, you can adapt those params with at least a small angle and a divide at 20 or 25

Have fun

F.R.
3 Apr   [#6] In reply to [#4]
Hi Charlie, yes the STL export will have the same issue initially because it is also generating polygons, but you can solve it by adjusting some of the options.

The 2 main things to modify is drag the slider towards the "More polygons" side, and put in a distance value in the "Divide larger than" option which will divide any polygons larger than that.

For the "Divide larger than" start with value around 1/10 of the overall width of your object like in your case here try "Divide larger than" = 10.

That will make a result like this where there is enough refinement to get that slightly curved area to come through:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
stl_refinement.jpg