MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Import obj/fbx into MoI with zero subdivisions...

2 Apr   [#1]
Hi all,

Think I saw a forum post a while ago about this but can't find it...Is there a way to bring in an obj/fbx into MoI with zero subdivisions using the Create command?

Cheers,

// Rich
2 Apr   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Rich,

re:
> Is there a way to bring in an obj/fbx into MoI with zero subdivisions using the Create command?

No, the SubD > Create > From File method is focused on converting the sub-d "limit surface" to NURBS geometry.

Zero subdivisions would result in polygons, not a smooth surface and MoI is not focused on polygon modeling.

There is a converter here which you can use to convert polygons to wireframe lines that you can bring in though:
http://moi3d.com/resources#Obj23dmWireframe_converter

- Michael
2 Apr   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Max's ImportObj Command does this.

Just be aware that thousands of little planar nubs surfaces get heavy quick.

So basic cages..
3 Apr   [#4]
Hi all - yes aware of all the polygon restrictions / size problems just thought there might be some optimisation involved outside of Max's plug but I'll just use that instead!

Thanks!

// Rich
3 Apr   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Rich,

re:
> Hi all - yes aware of all the polygon restrictions / size problems just thought there might be
> some optimisation involved outside of Max's plug but I'll just use that instead!

Sorry, no the main optimization is just not to do that. MoI is not designed to work with faceted polygon mesh data for modeling, it is better to use a polygon mesh editing program to work on that kind of data.

- Michael