MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Update the components

13 Mar   [#1]
I want to update the components of my computer, does MOI3D performance depend more on the processor or depends on the graphics card?
13 Mar   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Brianfox90,

What particular aspect of MoI performance are you hoping to improve? Different things make different demands of hardware. Like opening a file might be faster with multiple cores, graphics can be better with a faster graphics card, and certain types of rendering require lots of RAM.

- Peer
13 Mar   [#3] In reply to [#2]
I work with curves for the most part, and when there are a lot of them, the viewport starts to slow down
13 Mar   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Brianfox90,

If you turn off all object snaps does the viewport speed up?

- Peer
13 Mar   [#5] In reply to [#1]
Hi Brian, yes like Peer says it depends on the particular area.

Curve drawing uses a combination of both CPU and GPU, curves are projected from 3D to 2D and broken down into lines using the CPU and then sent to the GPU to be drawn.

I guess if I had to pick only one between updating CPU vs GPU I'd say go for GPU because they are on a sort of faster track of improvements than CPUs in general.

But you can get benefits from upgrading either.

Also newer CPUs often times have new sockets so you could need to upgrade the whole motherboard not just the CPU by itself, which can be a lot more work than a GPU upgrade.

- Michael
13 Mar   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Not to pile on, but another question that might matter.

CPU cores vs speed.

I don't know what functions MoI can run in parallel and which have to run in series (need Michael for this one) but from my past experience with CAD tools, many of the operations with modeling cannot occur in parallel and occur in series, thus the faster the CPU the better in most cases, even if it has many fewer cores.

Thoughts, Michael?
13 Mar   [#7] In reply to [#6]
The mesh export is nicely mutli-threaded !
13 Mar   [#8] In reply to [#6]
Hi mjs,

re:
> many of the operations with modeling cannot occur in parallel and occur in series,
> thus the faster the CPU the better in most cases, even if it has many fewer cores.

Yes, unfortunately making use of multiple CPU cores is generally quite difficult, the work has to be divided up into a bunch of independent chunks.

Many kinds of modeling calculations don't really lend themselves to being arranged in such a manner.

However, MoI does do it for some heavily used areas including in the display engine, mesh export, and also file opening.

The display and file opening are things that get used a lot during every modeling session.

- Michael
14 Mar   [#9]
Thank you all for the response. A small part of my work field usually looks like the one shown below, and the number of objects can reach up to 20,000. But the question arose because everything works smoothly when exporting to CorelCAD. I have an RTX 3060 video card and an I5 11400 processor, should I upgrade the processor anyway?

Image Attachments:
img-2024-03-14-10-09-21.png 

14 Mar   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Hi Brian, can you please send me (e-mail moi@moi3d.com) the .3dm file with your curves in it?

I can try running it with profiling on to see if there are any bottlenecks that might be tuned up.

Also have you tried the v5 beta with it? https://moi3d.com/beta.htm .

Thanks, - Michael
14 Mar   [#11] In reply to [#10]
I am working in version 5, the file that significantly slows down I sent to your email
14 Mar   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Hi Brian,

Did you try turning off all object snaps to see if navigating the viewport speeds up? The reason I ask is because I've noticed that things can get pretty sluggish if there are a lot of curves and I use something to control the viewports other than the pan/zoom/rotate buttons. Like using a SpaceMouse creates this problem. I think it's because the pan/zoom/rotate buttons temporarily disable calculation of object snaps by the CPU, but navigating with a SpaceMouse doesn't.

So, if you're not using the pan/zoom/rotate buttons you might try using them instead, or try manually turning off object snaps to see if it's the object snap calculation part that's slowing things down.

- Peer
14 Mar   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Another thing which you might want to turn off in moi.ini for heavier files is:

[Drawing Aids]
<....>
ObjectSnapShowMarkers=n

That will disable the little "x" marks that show the available snaps around the mouse cursor. If you are working zoomed out on a heavy file there can be quite a lot of these getting drawn and it also needs to compute their visibility if View > "Display hidden lines" is off.

- Michael