MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: OBJ to 3DM

Show messages: All  1-9  10-15

6 Mar   [#10] In reply to [#1]
Hi Andy,

I don't know if -what I want to suggest- will be helpful for you or not!

>when I try to import it into MoI3D V4 it takes a very long time on my fast PC.

I also once tried to import an Stl in MOI so, I opened Blender and saved the Stl file as an Obj but it took a lot of time to be imported in MOI and it never imported it!

Then I realized there were overlapping points (vertices). so, in Blender I did
something used to be called (removing doubles!) and then saved the file as an Obj. This time I was able to import it in MOI without any issue!

I don't know if you checked your model for double vertices or not but I recommend you to check that before importing it in MOI.

I was able to import your attached model in MOI as an Obj but only after I removed over 4000 excessive vertices using Blender.
Hope this method will help you.

-Psygorn
6 Mar   [#11] In reply to [#10]
Thanks psygorn - very interesting! I will give that a try! Andy
7 Mar   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Hi Psygorn,

error message appeared when I tried to answer for your private message. You disabled receiving private messages probably.
Mik
26 Mar   [#13] In reply to [#1]
Hi Andy,

in addition to Michael's post, here is an reverse engineering approach in Geomagic Freeform:

1- Create a smoothed out, healthy mesh to work with in GOM Inspect.

2- Create a thickness to the mesh in Rhino, otherwise it won't import into Geomagic.

3- Draw boundary lines for your patch layout. These lines can be "fitted" to the voxel mesh.

4- Create patches step by step.

5- Export patches as STEP files, so it can be used in parametric CAD Software.

This is how i worked in my former company. Please remember that Reverse Engineering is very time consuming.

Best regards

Image Attachments:
mesh - patching.JPG  mesh - step import.png  mesh refined.png  mesh structure.png 

26 Mar   [#14]

27 Mar   [#15] In reply to [#14]
@ PILOU:

The " Skin Surface" Tool is amazing.

I tried it out some years ago. Unfortunately, they don't sell it as a standalone function.
Otherwise, it would be a great addition to one's toolbox.

QUICKSURFACE is also a good option, it costs around 4,000 dollars.

Show messages: All  1-9  10-15