MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Calculation of area of surfaces

4 Mar   [#1]
This morning a hip roof drawing was created. It consists of two trapezoids, and two triangles, at a 4:12 pitch, which is about 18.434949 degrees.
(Work was done in MoI5Beta, but similar result in MoI4.)

The goal was to calculate the total roof area.

The (Windows) calculator said approximately 1,263.333 sq. ft.

When the two trapezoids were Joined, MoI said the entire roof area was 474.3416490 sq. ft. (This is the approximate sq. ft. of just the two triangles.)
At first I was happy that this small area would not cost so much to roof, but there was a problem.

>>> So when two surfaces are joined, (select surface, > Details > Area Calc), the Area is NOT calculated at all for the joined surfaces. Just the un-joined area is calculated.

When all 4 surfaces are Not joined, the (approximately) correct area is calculated, at 1,264.911 sq. ft. (Close enough to actual, to order the correct amount of material.)

When two surfaces are joined, (even two planar square surfaces), and selected, Nothing is calculated.
But if additional un-joined surfaces are selected, an area is calculated, but ONLY for the un-joined surfaces.

A suggestion would be to add "approximate" to the Area Calculated?

Another suggestion would be to warn that some areas are joined, and their area is not calculated??? Or do a temporary "unjoin surfaces" in the area calculation???

- Brian

I did have some difficulties with placing slanted dimensions, but managed to place them OK.

Attachments:
RoofTEST02.zip

4 Mar   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Brian, sorry for that, it's a bug that on breps made up of more than one face it only calculates surface area for faces that are between a solid and void region.

That happens to be the default behavior of the geometry library, I have adjusted it so that all faces of a brep will get their areas generated instead of only solids.

Thanks,
- Michael
4 Mar   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Cool! :-)