MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: How to align 4 photo references

Show messages:  1-17  18-37  38-39

24 Feb   [#18] In reply to [#17]
Hi Ken, I'm saying that car modeling is a difficult area of modeling in any program.

- Michael
24 Feb   [#19] In reply to [#17]
And if you require resources like tutorials specifically for car modeling and you are not finding them for MoI but you do have them for other programs then it sounds like the other programs are a better fit for what you're trying to do than MoI is currently.

Car modeling is definitely possible in MoI, you can find many examples in the gallery: http://moi3d.com/gallery/ but it's an advanced area of modeling.

It is kind of on the border between organic shaping and mechanical shaping.

Overall if you don't have a lot of experience it is probably easier to do with poly modeling.

- Michael
24 Feb   [#20] In reply to [#19]
I 've modeled some cars in Hexagon, Silo and Blender. But I've been told for accuracy to use a NURBS modeling app. Apparently NURBS models work best with 3D printers, lathes, etc.
I do not have a 3D printer, but I would like to purchase one to fabricate custom car parts for 1/24 & 1/25 car model kits as well as bodies for cars not available in kits. These would be for my use only.

I've watched youtube tutorials on NURBS / Curve modeling. Most are using Fusion 360, Rhino and Plasticity. I am trying to use some of the techniques in MOI3D.

Blender also hasNURBS & Curves but not the rich toolset of MOI3D.

Kuechmeister Swagger has youtube tutorials modeling cars in MOI3D and Plasticity. He is a very gifted modeler, BUT I find his videos too difficult to follow without audio narration. Not sure why someone would produce a tutorial with no narration. Ed Ferguson has a great tutorial on modeling a customized 1950s truck however it is a bit short on some of detail on the modeling techniques.

I marvel at some of the awesome car models some artists create in Sketchup. IMHO if it can be done in Sketchup or Plasticity, then it should be doable in MOI3D. Not sure why more are not.

I love MOI3D. just annoyed at how difficult it is to align blueprints/reference images and the lack of car modeling tutorials. Sorry, but I really see no good excuse for either.

Cheers

Ken
25 Feb   [#21] In reply to [#20]
Hi Ken,

re:
> But I've been told for accuracy to use a NURBS modeling app. Apparently NURBS
> models work best with 3D printers, lathes, etc.

That seems like an oversimplification to me.

It really depends on the specifics of what you're going to be doing with the models.

If your model is a car body with no exact circular holes in it, there isn't really any accuracy issue in play there.

If your model is a mechanical part that needs to match up with other separate parts, then accuracy is a big concern.

It's also possible to use a hybrid approach - use poly modeling with sub-d smoothing for smooth organic shaped areas, then convert sub-d to NURBS using MoI's converter and then apply booleans or trimming in NURBS. This is getting to be a more common approach because it's easier to get smooth-all-over organic shapes in sub-d but easier to make precise things like exact circular holes in NURBS. So the hybrid approach kind of leverages the strongest areas of each system.

- Michael
25 Feb   [#22] In reply to [#20]
Hi Ken,

re:
> I love MOI3D. just annoyed at how difficult it is to align blueprints/reference images and
> the lack of car modeling tutorials. Sorry, but I really see no good excuse for either.

The "excuse" is that both car modeling itself and producing tutorials are both difficult and time consuming areas of work.

- Michael
25 Feb   [#23] In reply to [#20]
If you want some cars modelized in SketchUp take a look to 600v ;)
56 pages! https://www.deviantart.com/600v/gallery
an old interface of 600v

Not sure that the technic for SketchUp (+plugins Artisan or SubD) is completely adaptable to Moi but...
Native SubD inside Moi...

else you have also this! ;) (Free Vizcom ! ) (next version will have 3D! )
https://mailchi.mp/171557ac14e6/new-vizcom-10-release-check-out-the-updates-8377049

25 Feb   [#24]
French one :)
https://moiscript.weebly.com/images-darriegravere-plan.html

25 Feb   [#25] In reply to [#22]
I am NOT anti-MOI3D. I think it is an awesome 3D app. And a bargain at it's price. To get the functionality of MOI3D in Blender would cost close to MOI3D's upgrade price at BlenderMarket for addons like BoxCutter, HardOps, Machine Tools, Fluent, etc.

Plasticity is a relatively new player on the market, yet it seems to get more attention from the 3D community (especially Blender users).

I've considered purchasing Plasticity (it's price is great) but I truly dislike it's UI. MOI is much more user friendly. But again it SEEMS like it is more favored by the car crowd.

In one day of playing with MOI, I was able to build models. It took me over a year (on and off) to get comfortable with Blender since it's new UI in 2.8 or 2.9.

Hexagon3D was a bit of a struggle, but a lot easier then Blender.

Silo was more straight forward as my first 3D experience was with Wings3D which has a very easy to use UI and second only to MOI for ease of use.

I have no intent on abandoning MOI3D. I think it has unlimited capabilities which also includes car modeling.

Just confused by it's like of attention from the 3D community and what appears to be a lack of sharing by it's users (I do not mean users on this forum) unlike other apps.

I mean no disrespect, I am only voicing the heart felt opinion of a 70 year old man who has had close to 25 years as a 3D hobbyist ( Wings3d, Hexagon, Silo, Blender, 3D Coat, Curvy3d, e-onsoftware's Vue, DAZ Studio, UV Mapper Classic).

Cheers and many thanks...

Ken
25 Feb   [#26] In reply to [#25]
You have forgotten the regretted Amapi who was the first to mix SUbDivided Polys and Nurbs in a version who is never released! ;)
Only some happy few have it!
25 Feb   [#27] In reply to [#23]
I am familiar with Russian 600v car models in Sketchup. I've downloaded a few he has uploaded to Sketchup's 3D Warehouse. He is awesome. But uses a lot of plugins in Sketchup. And the cost of Sketchup Pro is too pricey for me.

I do have an user account on Vizcom where I have uploaded a sketch or photo of mine as well as a 3D model I blocked out in Blender and refined in 3D Coat.

I have taken a few of these Vizcom renders into Photoshop and Rebelle to give them a paintery look. But I was never truly satisfied with the results.

I am not a big fan of these AI apps like Vizcom, Stable Diffusion or Midjourney.
25 Feb   [#28] In reply to [#27]
Take some time to them...they have just 6 months living! :

PS Sketchup 2017 make is free...so you pay only the plugins! ;)
25 Feb   [#29] In reply to [#28]
I am truly sorry to hear you only have 6 months to live. I recall your name from a few other 3D websites I've visited over the past years.

Please take care.
25 Feb   [#30]
Here is a car model I blocked out in Blender and detailed a bit in 3DCoat 2023.

Then I used the Vizcom AI website on it. I am mot pleased with my mesh and even less impressed with the Vizcom render.

Image Attachments:
late 1950s 02.png  late 1950s02..png  NukeSedan01.JPG  NukeSedan02.JPG 

25 Feb   [#31]
My SuperCoupe - influenced by traditional style American hot rods of the 1950s and 1960s as well as a Salt Flat racer. I modelled this in Silo3D & Hexagon3D, textured in 3D Coat.

And painted over using ArtRage. I did this a few years ago.

Image Attachments:
Mesh.JPG  Patina003.jpg  SuperCoupeIn3DC.JPG 

25 Feb   [#32]
My desire is to be able to create models like this in MOI3D with the intent to 3D print them and then detail them using parts from 1/24 / 1/25 scale car model kits (made by AMT, Revell, Monogram, MPC, JoHan, etc).

Supped up Ford Flathead V8 to be used to power an American hot rod. Modeled in Hexagon. I did not use any blueprints or reference image. I used a 1/8 diecast model I own of a stock flat head then added the super charger and tri-carbs which I modeled from reference images.

I hope this gives you an indication of what I am trying to accomplish in MOI3D. I think the engine, chassis/frame, suspension parts, etc would be easy. It is the body that has me stymied.

Image Attachments:
flathd01.JPG  flathd02.JPG 

25 Feb   [#33] In reply to [#29]
Sorry little misunderstanding! ;)
must be reading
The AI have only been in existence for 6 months! Not me! :)
25 Feb   [#34]
Else you can try tones of renders, Refines! ;) (+ enter Images)

25 Feb   [#35] In reply to [#34]
Nice additions. However AI is not for me. I do like the AI in Adobe Photoshop (Firefly?) but all other AI does not appeal to me.
25 Feb   [#36] In reply to [#32]
Hi Ken,

re:
> I hope this gives you an indication of what I am trying to accomplish in MOI3D. I think
> the engine, chassis/frame, suspension parts, etc would be easy. It is the body that
> has me stymied.

Yes, car bodies are difficult shapes to model.

They tend to be a more organic type of form and need a fairly different strategy than mechanical parts. It's a type of modeling that has a much steeper learning curve to it.

It seems like you need a pretty high level of guidance which is just not currently available for MoI, like step-by-step tutorials with voice.

Probably your best bet for success would be to create the body in one of your poly modeling programs and bring it in to MoI with the sub-d converter and then do other parts with MoI.

- Michael
25 Feb   [#37] In reply to [#36]
Michael,

The images I've uploaded where ALL modeled by ME, including the flathead V8 engine.

ALL were created from scratch. NO kit bashing.

ALL were modeled in polygonal apps Hexagon 3D and Silo by ME.

I realize how hard cars are to model as I've fought and won that learning curve.

Here is a futuristic hot rod I modeled from scratch. Again no kit bashing.

And later textured and rendered in e-onsoftware's Vue Creator.

I simply believe cars can be modeled in MOI3D. To suggest I purchase Rhino or Solidworks is SILLY. To suggest I continue to use a polygonal app is SILLY. When I have given reason why I want to use MOI3D for accuracy to scale (1/24 or 1/25) for 3D printing.

Image Attachments:
001.JPG  002.JPG  HRA2_41_Grobo Car EDIT 2020 {2016}=KRM02.jpg 

Show messages:  1-17  18-37  38-39