MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: MOI3d for gunstock design and carving?

11 Feb   [#1]
Plan to finish building a CNC router table with a 4th axis chuck for manual 4 sided index carving of rifle gunstocks.

Questions:

Would MOI be better or equal than Rhino3d for design of the overall shape of a gunstock?
While the overall shape and design of a rifle stock is more abstract and flowing, "in-letting" where the receiver fits need precise measurements,, is MOI capable of this?
What would be a good cam program to couple MOI with that provides for the 4 sided cnc carving?
This is for hobbyist level, so design and cam need to be in the 100-400 range

Thanks,
Nick
11 Feb   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Nick, MOI has enough capabilities for that, you should give the 90 day trial version a try to see if you like it.

For CAM I know some MOI users use BobCAD-CAM or Deskproto you might want to check those ones out.

- Michael
13 Feb   [#3]
Hi Nick, your budget is tight for this kind of software. Rhino alone would put you over the top.

As far as your questions go I own Rhino but would do the modeling in MOI because it is more intuitive and faster for me. Some cam options would be Deskproto as Michael mentioned, if you really need the 4hth axis. I don't think you would really need it for this kind of a part.

The Vectric products are very nice and Vcarve desktop would be great for this.

Meshcam is another option I would look at if you plan on machining mostly 3d parts.

Cambam is more complicate to use at first but is an excellent program and very affordable.

-Shane