MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Car modeling question how to fix items and move forward

Show messages:  1-20  21-33

16 Jan   [#1]
Good day.
Trying to model a car for a long time now.
Attached is a model I have drawn up...today I have changed from smaller network patches to bigger ones.
but there is allot to fix..so I only put up a side of the car to lower its size and if I understand how to fix these I can probably finish it.
On the pic with the red arrow above the front wheel there is an open seam that I do not know how to fix.

I watched the Keugmeister swagger video's on youtube many,many, many times....and if I understand it correctly
you create network, loft patches, do the Iso on the surface, reconstruct curve to polylines, loft straight and then subd.
but how do I maintain sharp edges and arcs after subd?

am I on the right track here?

Thank you!

Attachments:
patch panel.3dm

Image Attachments:
openser.jpg  sercont.jpg 

16 Jan   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Matadem, you may be better off doing this type of modeling in a polygon sub-d modeler instead of in Moi.

> but how do I maintain sharp edges and arcs after subd?

Probably you should be making your surface going more straight across and then trimming out the wheels rather than trying to make a surface that goes around them.

- Michael
16 Jan   [#3]
Considering Micheal's advice I attach a video that can help, this simplifies the work later and you can reconstruct the surfaces in Moi3D.
Here is the video timelapse and can help, of course I recommend using Blender, but you can find other applications to do this.

Here a course on Blender for car design

https://www.blendermarket.com/products/3d-cars-inside-and-out-in-blender

Greetings
17 Jan   [#4]
Thank you!
I need to learn blender too....I have not much use for it now but the day will come .
18 Jan   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Considering others have already mentioned Blender and Sub-d modeling, my advice would be to look into how people from the car industry using Blender. Here is an example out of many.

A very interesting discussion about the project, Josef Ludvík Böhm a Surface Designer at Polestar has develop Surface Diagnostics Addon for blender
https://blendermarket.com/products/surface-diagnostics

30 Mar   [#6] In reply to [#1]
> I watched the Keugmeister swagger video's on youtube many,many, many times....and if I understand it correctly
> you create network, loft patches, do the Iso on the surface, reconstruct curve to polylines, loft straight and then subd.
> but how do I maintain sharp edges and arcs after subd?>

I've watched many of Keugmeister Swagger car modeling videos for MOI3D and Plasticity. He is a vey talented car modeler. I an envious of his skills. Sadly he is a very poor instructor, I think of his videos more of him showcasing his car modeling skills then as instructional.

The big issue I have with his videos is the lack of an audio sound track, it would be like watching a fast paced NHL hockey game or elite tennis match with subtitles instead of an audio play by play. I wonder how many folks would watch the Stanley Cup finals or world class tennis event under those limitations?

At my age (70s) it is quite frustrating trying to follow his mouse movements and subtitles at the same time. . I tried pausing the video, but this triples or more the playing time. We were born with ears for a good reason, which seems to be beyond Mr Swagger's comprehension.

I have given up on his channel. So I share your frustration.

Contrary to what Michael claims there are people doing modeling in MOI3D, sadly few are willing to share their knowledge which does not seem to be the case with other 3D modeling software.

You can try adopting Fusion 360 or Rhino tutorials to MOI3D but I've kind of been turned off on MOI3D by my experience trying to obtain some car modeling knowledge which in my opinion is one of the most user friendly 3D apps. Too bad the community was not more more friendly like the app.

Cheers & take care...

Kenmo
30 Mar   [#7] In reply to [#6]
These 2 ones are not so difficult to follow!
and each section is commented!

30 Mar   [#8] In reply to [#6]
"We were born with ears for a good reason, which seems to be beyond Mr Swagger's comprehension"

Maybe he has not interest to be an 'instructor" ? I get the frustration but not everyone like to do voice record videos or doing tutorials.
At least he does share something, for free ! It's kinda rare these days and I would be grateful about it while it last !
30 Mar   [#9] In reply to [#7]
As I said, I've watched his videos many times. Including these. Why would you reference them again?

I do not like his tutorials as I FIND THEM TOO DIFFICULT TO FOLLOW!

Perhaps when you reach my age and start experiencing vision issues you will understand.

Sorry BUT I can not be any clearer then this.
30 Mar   [#10] In reply to [#8]
I never said I did not appreciate his efforts. I simply said I find them too difficult to follow and because of that I get very little from them.

Most people upload stuff to youtube to get clicks and seldom because of their good nature. Perhaps he is the rare exception.

Perhaps when you reach 70 you will find have the same problem as I presently do?

I also have the same issue with foreign movies which have subtitles.
30 Mar   [#11] In reply to [#10]
Ken, you've written about this here several times before.

I get that you're frustrated by Zarkow's tutorials and wish that they were easier to follow.

But what is the point of repeating this again and again?

At a certain point it gets to be a breach of forum etiquette.

- Michael
30 Mar   [#12] In reply to [#11]
I was replying to Matadem's comment that he too had issues with Zarkow's tutorials. I can hardly understand how replying to a comment with a similar view is a breach of forum conduct?
30 Mar   [#13]
Maybe @Pilou knows a AI that create voice over description based on UI interaction =O)
30 Mar   [#14] In reply to [#12]
Hi Ken,

re:
> I can hardly understand how replying to a comment with a similar view is a breach of forum conduct?

Well to start with, Matadem's post is from Jan 15 so that's a "necro thread" breach of etiquette.

2nd, your reply with "All caps":

> I do not like his tutorials as I FIND THEM TOO DIFFICULT TO FOLLOW!

is interpreted as yelling, that's another one.

> Too bad the community was not more more friendly like the app.

Insulting the community and repeating with more intentionally inflammatory posts is another one.

I understand you are frustrated but repeatedly venting just to start arguments is not appreciated.

- Michael
31 Mar   [#15]
Take a look to Arrimus 3D... i Believe that is something about moi 3D tuts!

Maybe not about car!

https://arrimus3d.artstation.com/store/6a9g/moi3d-for-game-assets

make some research on the Net...with this guy!
31 Mar   [#16]
Hi Ken, here 62 old just retired. At this age we must enjoy life without struggling and frustations. Zarkow share his techniques FOR FREE and you can follow this WITHOUT PAY MONEY. I think this is great stuff. There are also other ways to model a car in Moi3D, if you can't do please accept you limits, breathe deeply and go on. Enjoy life:Mauro
31 Mar   [#17] In reply to [#13]
@PAQ
I am pretty sure that you can ask to the free Gemini online to give you the text of a description video!
https://gemini.google.com/app

Then input the result in any convert Text to voice... or maybe Gemini it self who knows ?

I have yet made this (nothing to do with voice...
Ask Gemini to give me a 5 prompts about any subject wanted (very few word from me) that you want but with technical term of Midjourney

and then you put the result inside Bing ...or Wizcom! ;)

the Ai for text to voice! ;)
https://www.naturalreaders.com/online/ very good but not free for more 20 items!

A free one https://ttsmaker.com

The Vizcom result is more poetic! :)

The Bing Result! More near the Gemini description!

31 Mar   [#18] In reply to [#13]
@Paq
Ah damned!
Gemini1.5 answer this! :(
I'm sorry, but I'm unable to access this YouTube content. This is possible for a number of reasons, but the most common are: the content isn't a valid YouTube link, the video is potentially unsafe, the content does not have a captions file that I can read, or the video language is currently not supported.

Maybe next year...so be patient! :)
31 Mar   [#19] In reply to [#18]
It should be called video to speech or something, I would have be really surprised if such thing exist already.
I know there is this 'device' project (I forget the name already) that was trained to interact with web UI, so a virtual assistant could buy or reserve stuff for you on the net, so I guess you make an IA learn an interface.

But more seriously it wouldn't be that helpful for time lapse modelling video, it would only describe what's happening on the screen but not the reasoning behind.
I came across a commercial zbrush video/tutorial like that, where the 'instructor' was commenting his 4 hours sculpting ... it was very depressing to watch.

Those time lapse modelling session does have their merit, but only if you already have a good base knowledge.
31 Mar   [#20] In reply to [#19]
there is Video2text but it's more the capture of the subtitles for the moment! ;)

About Moi3D to Vizcom ;)

More appealing is the real time from Moi3d! ;)

here with the free Krea : that works like a charm! A true breeze! :)

Show messages:  1-20  21-33