MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Corrupted?

10 Jan   [#1]
SO this happened out of the blue tonight. I thought maybe I could trim the bottom part of and replace it, but it wont trim or boolean it just corrupts more of the object. Pretty scared I lost a lot of work tonight. Little frustrated, so, Im gonna hit the sack and hopefully have an answer or solution tomorrow.

Attachments:
Drone_new_v10.3dm

Image Attachments:
1.JPG 

11 Jan   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Billabong,

If you hide the faces around the circle you can see the inside and there is a triangular shaped surface which might have created out of a mistake you made during modeling.

I believe if you learn to work more organized through practicing; u can avoid these issues!

-Psygorn
11 Jan   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Billabong, there are some slivery squashed surfaces in this area which I think may be messing things up:

I should be able to fix the corrupted area by untrimming and retrimming the surfaces, I'll see about that.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
drone_fragments.jpg 

11 Jan   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi Billabong, here's a repaired version.

- Michael

Attachments:
Drone_new_v10_2.zip

11 Jan   [#5] In reply to [#2]
@Psygorn (DRILLBIT) I did see the shape your referring to, which is why I was trying to trim it away but wasn't having any luck. Can you explain a little more about what you mean about being more organized? I thought it was organized. I have things set up pretty self-explanatory in the styles browser. Or are you referring to something else?
11 Jan   [#6] In reply to [#4]
Hey Michael,

Thank you again. Can you tell me what you did, because I tried the trimmed, untrimmed method you told me about a couple of days ago, but it didn't work.
11 Jan   [#7] In reply to [#5]
Hi Billabong,

Sorry, I thought u did not see those shapes, and by no means I wanted to criticize your work in a bad way I just wanted to give u a general advice that's it. and I know with the dedication and interest you are showing you will soon become good at it, keep up the good work (and of course the more organized you try to be the better (general advice))

and I think I know how Michael did fix your drone. but it is a bit complicated.

1-try to copy edges on those surfaces even the openings .
2-join the edges.
3-delete all the problematic surfaces (I thing there are four of them)
4-make a new sphere and trim it using the edges you preserved during steps 1&2.
5-join the surfaces together.(it should work)

Note: because there are tiny gaps between joined edges of your model you might need to tweak the edges over there to get a satisfying result (at least when I tried to repair it they made problem for me). and if MOI says "it is a joined surface" but doesn't show any naked edges. I suggest you to save your work close MOI and reopen it then you should see MOI says your object is "solid"

Maybe Michael can show you his processes (which I think might be more efficient) in series of pictures or video but for me it is not possible at the moment.

-Psygorn
11 Jan   [#8] In reply to [#7]
LOL, you didn't offend me. Takes a lot for me to get agitated. I was simply wanting you to elaborate on what you meant so I can better understand this program. I have been a hard surface modeler in 3ds max for over 20 years. I bought MOI I think around 2 years ago. Messed with it once and haven't touched it since. I made my self a promise that I'm going to learn this program this year, even if it means I have to ask 40K questions to do it.
On the surface MOI seems rather simple, but in fact its the exact opposite. I mean yeah you can Boolean one object into another easily enough, but if you want to understand blends, networks and such. It takes a deep understanding, which was the reason for my questions.
11 Jan   [#9] In reply to [#6]
Hi Billabong,

re:
> Thank you again. Can you tell me what you did, because I tried the trimmed,
> untrimmed method you told me about a couple of days ago, but it didn't work.

The retrim part was a little finicky, I needed to draw in some lines to use as trim cutters instead of reusing some of the same original edges.

The 2 halves don't seem to quite line up exactly down the centerline, like a mirror axis line maybe was just slightly not axis aligned.

Also I discovered that a quick hack to clear this particular type of trim boundary corruption is to separate into individual surfaces and export to an IGES file and re-import it back again.

- Michael
11 Jan   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Hey Michael,

When I saw that center line, that's exactly what I thought. I didn't mirror or trim it exactly on the center line. Those inside faces really freaked me out,lol. Thanks again for fixing it.