MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: ARC end points tangency

Show messages: All  1-15  16-17

29 Dec 2023   [#16] In reply to [#14]
Hi Alex,

I just tried doing it with Arc > Cont. That works, but you'll need to make small steps and work in the 3D viewport only. While picking the 2nd point of each arc move the 3D view around to get an overall sense of how closely it's following the freeform curve. From some angles it might look like a perfect fit, but from other viewpoints you'll see that there's actually a big gap.

Doing this with the built-in Rotate view control will be very painful because you need to rotate the view back and forth while picking the 2nd point of each arc. I'm using a SpaceMouse and that works pretty well for this.

One thing I noticed is that the resulting polyarc tends to kind of oscillate around the freeform curve. If you need it to look really smooth you might have to change the freeform curve so that it is more like a few long arcs and straight lines. Or you'll need to make really small steps which the people doing the bending probably won't like. Or you might need to find a fabricator with a CNC bender designed for doing freeform curves rather than just radii and angles.

- Peer
2 Jan   [#17]
Thanks again for advice all working nicely

Show messages: All  1-15  16-17