MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: text padding

14 Dec 2023   [#1]
Is there a way to add padding between text and the point that the text is anchored? Like how if I draw a leader and adjust the padding then the text moves relative to the tail of the leader.

But, if I use the Text tool and adjust padding all that does is move the outline of the textbox relative to the text.

I want to snap text (no outline) to a line (curve) and have there be a controlled gap between the text and the line rather than the text directly colliding with the line. This is kind of like how a leader would act if the arrow were omitted, but I've tried to do that it doesn't seem to be allowed.

- Peer
14 Dec 2023   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Peer,

re:
> But, if I use the Text tool and adjust padding all that does is move the outline of
> the textbox relative to the text.

Yes this behavior of the text anchor point setting the position of the interior baseline of the text and then padding applied around that is inherited from Rhino and presumably AutoCAD.

There is not currently any way to avoid that behavior but I'll see if I can set up a flag to make it set the exterior corner instead.

- Michael
14 Dec 2023   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Much appreciated Michael. I'm looking forward to it.

- Peer