MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Preview of files in Windows 10/11 Explorer

13 Dec 2023   [#1]
In another post I described some difficulties and changes in what file extensions could be previewed in Windows File Explorer.

I had a 2020 version of PowerToys.

An information link to powertoys:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/file-explorer

Over a 150 file types are covered.
I think NOT .3dm. (?)
There is also talk about Outlook conflict.
There is also talk about "overriding" existing preview handlers.

There is a list of preview handlers in the Windows registry. (Still to be studied)

The latest Windows 11, and even latest Windows 10, have DIFFERENT menu structures than are describe in various internet "Cure" procedures.

There seems to be some problem with OneDrive "wiping" out thumbnails of .3dm files(?)

Running programs as administrator seems to have many methods eliminated(?)

I spent several hours today looking up Internet topics regarding File Explorer, and Preview.
Due to my continuing ignorance, I cannot make any recommendations.

I do not know how I broke my .js and .htm views, and partly broke .3dm views.
Viewing files on external SSD's seems to be harder(?)

So Rhino and MoI have different .3dm viewers...

- Brian
14 Dec 2023   [#2]
I had the previews of the MoI files since the installation of V5 beta Dec-1-2023. Yesterday evening I did the update of win 10 which was proposed to me and this morning that I do not have the previews of all my files .3dm. ????
14 Dec 2023   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Zooen, one thing you can try is to run a command prompt as administrator, then go into c:\Program Files\MoI 5.0 beta Dec-1-2023 and run:

regsvr32 moi_lib.dll

That will set up the .3dm thumbnail provider in the system registry again.

- Michael
15 Dec 2023   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Thank's, Michael,

I hope this doesn't happen with every Windows update. I wonder if you have a handle on it.
Best regards
15 Dec 2023   [#5]
OneDrive was going bonkers Sync-ing, or trying to Sync with Documents folder, and using up all of the c:drive memory. (About 46,000+ files.)
I finally selected a OneDrive directory and pressed "Free Up Space" in File Explorer, (Warning, this actions occurs in the folders subdirectories also.), to stop the sync-ing.
(So some files may be only in the cloud, at some time or other.(?)) ( I managed to un-sync one directory, and then un-synced all, or nearly all of document folders, using ignorance.:-)
(OneDrive via Office 365, 157.9 GB used of 1TB)

A simple help link:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/onedrive-using-up-all-my-free-space-on-c-drive/e3c216f0-ee65-4e12-9d84-8e34d73bef49

Updated powertoys to v0.76.2, to restore preview of .js, (.htm as text, not as a run), and many other extensions (150+?). (Some file size limitations.)

.3dm file preview was (partly?), and is NOW working fine, for .3dm files saved "recently" (In last few months).
An older .3dm, without the preview "thumbnail", can be doubled clicked on (opened in MoI5Dec1beta), hit MoI save Floppy Disk icon, for thumbnail creation to that file in current directory. Quick and easy.
The load time for MoI for some large .3dm is fairly short, a couple of seconds, or very fast for smaller .3dm files.

I assume that the preview is from the MoI thumbnail creator.(?) Not Rhino8.1?)

Quite large .3dm's can get a thumbnail which previews.

There can be some brief time delays when previewing OneDrive files.

- Brian

It is very hard for me, these days, to know what is going on. Maybe blame setup of 3rd computer (baby Dell), due to selecting Link photos, phone?, other computers via internet???
Or maybe blame MS???:-)