MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Rhino 8.1

12 Dec 2023   [#1]
I just upgraded to Rhino 8.1
Install could have been very easy, but not for myself, due to the need to select their install gear icon and specify which of (3?) methods to handle the license, before hitting the left portion of their Install button.
Selecting "my computer" works, but the other options cause strange "computer not hooked up to internet" messages. (All very confusing.)
(All that their Chat guy could say, (incorrectly), was that the computer is bad, or the antivirus should be disabled, or Microsoft redistributable(s) were needed.)
Anyway, now Rhino 8 has "Cloud Zoo", for floating (my single) license between computers, or not. Only took 2.5 hours to do upgrade that should have take ~ 10 minutes:-)

- Brian

(I also had to cut away some old versions of some other programs, to get more room on SSD 256GB...)

Glad that Moment of Inspiration is easy to install.
13 Dec 2023   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hard drives are cheap, time to upgrade to a 1 TB SSD. A sata 1 tb ssd is $62 USD on Amazon. Sorry to hear about Rhino being so complicated.
13 Dec 2023   [#3] In reply to [#1]
""computer not hooked up to internet" messages"

Oh no!

I am so tired of software needing the internet to function. The overcompensation to stop a tiny sliver of people that pirate software punishes everyone else.

Software, at the worst, should function and only need to phone home once every 30 days and not having to at initial install.

I hope that Rhino 8 doesn't also try to phone home on every start-up and then not want to work less it can ping home to verify the install.

Keep MoI clean and if it ever is needing to phone home, keep it once per month and not forcing it on install. The timer can just be 30 days, or first time it sees there is an internet connection, ping home, and go. All in the background of course and no intrusive messages less someone runs past the timer.
13 Dec 2023   [#4]
in the other hand Net connection is very cool for very old computers to run programs of today! :)

When calculates are externalized! !)
13 Dec 2023   [#5] In reply to [#2]
Two new 2TB SATA Samsung SSD EVO's on order!
Believe it or not there are 3 different technology types of SSD's, Pro, EVO, and QVO.
Had to cancel initial QVO, ordered due to ignorance.
EVO is slightly "better" than QVO...

- Brian