MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V5 beta Déc-1-2023

3 Dec 2023   [#1]
Hi there,
As I'm curious by nature I installed V5 Beta Dec-1-2023.
One nice thing is that I have the previews in windows explorer (I didn't have them in V5 beta Apr-13-2023).
Less pleasantly, I've had a few bugs: for example, it's impossible to perform the Boolean operation union; whereas it works with the previous version on the same project I'm working on.
I've also had scripts disappear from the drop-down list. So I'm thinking that maybe I'm the cause of these bugs. I've completely uninstalled the latest V5 beta and just reinstalled it. I'll keep you posted. But I want to finish the project I'm working on.
Best regards
3 Dec 2023   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Zooen,

re:
> Less pleasantly, I've had a few bugs: for example, it's impossible to perform the Boolean
> operation union; whereas it works with the previous version on the same project I'm
> working on.

Can you please send me the .3dm file with the objects that don't boolean union? You can e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com if you want to keep it private.

I don't think there have been any changes in boolean related code in this release but it would be good if I could test with your same file to find out for sure.

> I've also had scripts disappear from the drop-down list.

Probably the disappearing scripts were installed in the previous beta's install folder instead of in the AppData folder.

In Windows Explorer if you go to c:\Program Files\MoI 5.0 beta Apr-13-2023\commands do you see the scripts that go missing in there? If so then copy those script files into %AppData%\Moi\commands so they can be found by the new beta.

Thanks,
- Michael
4 Dec 2023   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael,

>Can you please send me the .3dm file...

Sorry but I didn't keep it. I reinstalled the latest V5 Beta, and everything works fine.

I got into the habit of copying all downloaded scripts (.htm + .js) into: AppData / Roaming / Moi / Commands and .js files without .htm into Moi / scripts. But in fact I left some (forgotten) in c:\Program Files\MoI 5.0 beta Apr-13-2023\commands. A reorganization was necessary.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards
10 Dec 2023   [#4]
Hi Michael,

I installed today the latest Dec-Beta and have the issue that the drawing area (the 4 windows) doesn't get a refresh when switching back and force between i.e. desktop or a different software to MoI3d. When switching back to MoI3D in the drawing area still the desktop or software used before is visible and I fin no way to get a refresh. In all other versions before I never had this effect.

Cheers,
Joerg
10 Dec 2023   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Joerg,

re:
> When switching back to MoI3D in the drawing area still the desktop or software used
> before is visible and I fin no way to get a refresh. In all other versions before I never
> had this effect.

Does this problem persist after a system reboot?

What operating system are you running on?

Thanks,
- Michael
10 Dec 2023   [#6] In reply to [#5]
HI Michael,
Thanks for your super fast feedback! I recognized that on an older Windows 7 pro machine with a Nvidia Quadro graphics card after installation and without booting again.

But I followed your hint to reboot and the issue was gone. While rebooting and the system was shutting down, I got the error message (exception) "Unknown Software Error......." and the window was named "Hidden Window: LogiOverlay.exe Error in application"

So, if rebooting solves the issue, it's no issue!!

Thanks a lot,
Joerg
10 Dec 2023   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Joerg, so that was likely a video driver problem. If the same problem does return at some point then a video driver update may be a good thing to try.

- Michael
10 Dec 2023   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Michael,
Tried to update the video driver already as first step, but the driver were the actual.
However, the issue is solved.

Joerg
13 Dec 2023   [#9]
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is me mis-remembering or a regression, but I'm noticing that some of my larger models are very, very slow on the December beta. I didn't try May and haven't touched them in a while, so I may have forgotten how heavy they were rather than a regression, but it does make a lot of edits on those models really painful. I recall that previously this was an issue with the text label tool generating overly detailed meshes. Have you touched anything here that might have caused the issue? Happy to share model links offline.
13 Dec 2023   [#10]
Recently, both of my Windows 10 PC, and Windows 11 PC, have stopped previews of .htm, .js, and .3dm, in Windows Explorer. They try to load, but do not.
PNG still previews, and docx, and .pdf, and .txt
No Idea why. Probably nothing to do with MoI?

- Brian

It seems like the Windows menu's have been changed, or re-arainged, so internet help gives incorrect navigation to fix various things, and so in of no use:-(

Update:
In my Downloads folder, the .3dm files will preview in Windows Explorer!!!

.js and .htm files still hang on attempt to load.

Now I'm thinking that my limited disk space is the problem?
After selecting numerous .png to preview in MoIAppData library folder, the preview eventually stops working. The .3dm files there do not preview at all.
13 Dec 2023   [#11] In reply to [#9]
Hi Cuboctahedron,

re:
> Have you touched anything here that might have caused the issue?

Hmmm, I don't think there have been any changes in display related code in this release. But sometimes things can be interconnected in subtle ways so it would be good for me to test for regressions.

For heavy models you might try changing settings under Options > View > "Mesh angle" to 25 and uncheck "Add detail to inflections", before loading the heavy file.

> Happy to share model links offline.

Yes to keep them private can you please e-mail them to me at moi@moi3d.com and maybe describe in a little more detail how to reproduce?

Thanks, - Michael
13 Dec 2023   [#12] In reply to [#10]
Hi Brian,

re:
> Recently, both of my Windows 10 PC, and Windows 11 PC, have stopped previews of .htm, .js, and
> .3dm, in Windows Explorer. They try to load, but do not.
> PNG still previews, and docx, and .pdf, and .txt
> No Idea why. Probably nothing to do with MoI?

Definitely the .htm and .js not previewing is not related to MoI. The .3dm issue certainly could be. But MoI does not directly control the previewing process, it has a thumbnail image provider that is called by the shell in the background when it wants to generate a thumbnail image.

Hmmm, you recently also installed Rhino 8, right? That will have it's own thumbnail provider so you might see if you have a difference between setting MoI versus the Rhino one active.

To set MoI's one active, run a command prompt as Administrator and inside the MoI program files folder run:
regsvr32 moi_lib.dll

To set Rhino's active I think look for a dll named RhinoHandlers.dll and call regsvr32 RhinoHandlers.dll , some related info for Rhino v7 here:
https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/rhino-7-file-preview-is-missing-in-windows-explorer/114085

- Brian
13 Dec 2023   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Thank you Michael for the tips, even though this is likely not a MoI problem.

Rhino 8.1 not installed at home yet. It is funny that the preview problem showed up on Windows 10 pc, and Windows 11 pc, about the same time.
Will upgrade 2 SSD's in a few days.

I recently purchased a "baby" Dell pc for CNC, with nothing loaded yet, (Windows 11).
I'll install a few things and see if preview gets messed up or not, and report back later if anything turns up.
(I only use MoI on one computer at a time.)

- Brian

So MoI thumbnail viewer only works for recently saved .3dm's???
13 Dec 2023   [#14] In reply to [#13]
Loaded existing .3dm into MoI5_Dec1 Beta, and saved to D drive,
and to MoIAppData. They were the AlibreLogo.3dm and an Acorn.3dm
Preview works on them. (They currently show a file type (Icon) of Rhino.

.htm and .js still do not preview, but try to load.

T-Rex.3mf DOES preview.

- Brian

Explored some mysteries of OneDrive...

Will Checkout Rhino vs MoI .3dm preview...
13 Dec 2023   [#15] In reply to [#13]
Hi Brian,

re:
> So MoI thumbnail viewer only works for recently saved .3dm's???

It should work on any .3dms saved since the Mar-28-2023 v5 beta which is the first version of MoI that would save thumbnail images inside .3dm files.

- Michael