MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Naked edges novice question

Show messages: All  1-11  12-15

3 Dec 2023   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Hi Pirandos,

re:
> Am I right hat curve and edge is different and not equal?

This is particularly the case if the curves do not meet up at the endpoints exactly.

Here's an example - Network can still generate a surface if the curve ends are not exactly matched up but the surface result will be kind of an average between them:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
Pirandos3.jpg  Pirandos4.jpg  Pirandos5.jpg 

3 Dec 2023   [#13] In reply to [#11]
Hi Pirandos,

Here's a plugin to help finding tiny curves and edges. It's called findShortest and is attached.

If you run findShortest on Pits_central-strange_.3dm and then zoom out this is what you'll see:

The shortest edge happens to be the naked edge that you're looking for, but there are also other tiny edges that aren't naked. Often really short edges or curves are a sign of a problem that will mess up booleans even if the tiny edge isn't naked.

This plugin will ignore locked or hidden edges, so if you run it and decide that what it found isn't what you are looking for, lock or hide the edge / curve that it is selected and run the plugin again. That will find the next shortest edge / curve.

That way you can work your way through a model with multiple problems by basically marking stuff as complete as you go by hiding or locking it. Of course, it would probably be better to actually fix the stuff that it finds.

If you want to focus only on naked edges, then instead of selecting the entire airplane at the start, select only naked edges using Browser > Types > Edges > Naked and then run findShortest.

This plugin sets the 3D view to "Parallel" rather than perspective. When you're done finding short edges you can change that back to "Perspective" under Options:

Install by going to MoI's appdata folder.

On Windows you can find the Moi appdata folder by typing Win+R to bring up the Windows "Run" dialog and then type in:
%AppData%\Moi\

On Mac from a Finder window, go to the menu and pick Go > "Go to folder" and type in:
~/Library/Application Support/Moi/

You should see the folders “commands” and "startup". Put findShortest.js in commands.

To set up a shortcut key go to Options > Shortcut Keys and type in findShortest as the command name.

- Peer

Attachments:
findShortest.js

Image Attachments:
findShortest.gif  perspective.png 

3 Dec 2023   [#14] In reply to [#13]
Peer, thanks for the reply and plugin, I was tryin to find something like this!
But how come that short curve segment appears??? I draw normal curves but after some manipulations it brakes in to segments
3 Dec 2023   [#15] In reply to [#14]
Hi Pirandos,

re:
> But how come that short curve segment appears??? I draw normal curves but after some
> manipulations it brakes in to segments

It's hard to say without being able to reproduce it but it's probably from the same issue that is ending up with some small gaps between surfaces.

If I had the curves available to examine, I would look for places where their endpoints are not all exactly lined up with each other.

- Michael

Show messages: All  1-11  12-15