MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: crystal stopper

19 Nov 2023   [#1]
HI!
II need to create a crystal stopper for a decanter of Tequila
The stopper should represent an agave plant.
I attach the facing but don't know how to create the volume, a bit like a ring.
Can you help me ?
Thanks a lot.
See the attachments for samples

Image Attachments:
facing.png  image2.jpg  IMAGE3.png  images1.jpeg 

19 Nov 2023   [#2] In reply to [#1]
The Agave plant has a fibonacci arrangement.

So the layout of the leaves could be in such a spiral?

- Brian
19 Nov 2023   [#3] In reply to [#1]
A google search of "Agave finial" will show some examples of the Agave crown.

The artichoke finial is similar, but more compact, and perhaps easier to manufacture.

Individual glass leaves may be hard to manufacture, and seems dangerous with breakage.

There was a special show on moonshiners about tequila making. It takes about 7 years to grow the plant(?). The harvesters cut off much of the leaves, leaving the big Core used in fermentation, which could be the modeled finial. I forget the terminology. Jimadores. The pina with a waved circumflex. A conversation topic.

Google Agave core for images.

- Brian

The core looks a lot like the artichoke finial, and shows the fibonaci spiral.

Quiotes.
19 Nov 2023   [#4]
Pineapple finial...
19 Nov 2023   [#5] In reply to [#1]
A preliminary idea:

Google of "pineapple and fibonacci" shows the pattern to be a grid of roughly hexagons, in a tapered "cylinder", which has 3 different lines of hexagons, which
Would be the bases of the quiotes leaves.

Create a core profile, revolve it, and flow a plane of hex grid onto the ovoid.

Add on the leaves.

- Brian
19 Nov 2023   [#6] In reply to [#1]
Hi Finema, I'd probably focus on one leaf at a time and start with a flat pattern and bend it into shape using the Flow command. I'll see about making an example later today.

- Michael
19 Nov 2023   [#7] In reply to [#1]
Hi Finema, so something like this - a 2D leaf in the top view:

Draw a line down the center of the leaf, and in a side view draw a bendy curve like this:

Select the leaf and run the Transform > Deform > Flow command, pick the center line as the base curve and the bendy curve as the target, that will make a result like this:

Repeat with some variations on the bendy curve, then rotate them:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
agave1.jpg  agave2.jpg  agave3.jpg  agave4.jpg 

20 Nov 2023   [#8] In reply to [#1]
The blue agave core has leaf bases which each look like a rhombus (squished square), not a hexagon.

Some of the upper leaves of the core could be left attached to the upper portion of the core. The lower 3/4 of the core would be grasp-able, so as to enable easy removal of the attached ground glass stopper ("cork").

-Brian
20 Nov 2023   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Above the ground glass "cork" could be a solid frustrum cone, big side up, with a representation of leaves in bas relief around the frustum, kind of like a crown. This would be grasp-able, and manufacturable, and safer than a bunch of breakable glass shard leaves, with less liability.

- Brian
18 Dec 2023   [#10] In reply to [#7]
As an alternative to Michael's Flow method for creating the curves leaf shape, you could also Boolean intersect the leaf shape and a curve, like this:

Image Attachments:
Intersect two curves.png