MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Rotating a part without leaving the full screen ortho view

30 Mar 2023   [#1]
Hello Michael, everyone,

A good portion of my work in MOI involves 2D CAD for lasercut parts, as well as the design of functional 3d printing parts (fastening brackets, and so on). This means that I very often work mostly in one view (usually top), and I later bring together various parts for a "pseudo assembly" in 3D. This often means grabing an extruded part (originally drafted in top view) and rotating it in place by 90 degrees using 2-point axis rotate.

One annoyance I constantly run into is the need to switch to full screen 3d view (or 4 views split viewport) to perform said rotation operations (in order to input the 4 points defining the axis or rotation and the desired amount of rotation at a glancing angle), and then going back to ortho view to keep on working on the design.

Is there a way to perform these rotation operations in one click/press of a button, without having to change viewport ?
I suppose it could be done either by having two scripts (rotate part around X by 90 degrees/rotate part around Y by 90 degrees), or by having some sort of clever variant of one of the current rotation modes made to work from ortho view. Having two separate dedicate scripts (one for X and one for X) sounds more interesting to me though as they could then be assigned to hotkeys for instant rotation of parts and that sounds the fastest way to get to the desired result, but I may be wrong. I am open to any suggestion really.

I do have a vague memory of seing a similar question being asked here on the forums a while ago, but I could be imagining things.
Also please understand that I am of course capable of doing these rotation operations in 3D space already. My question is not "how do I rotate a part", but rather "is it possible to rotate a part in 90 degrees increments around X or Y without having to leave the current ortho view".

I hope this makes sense !

Image Attachments:
MOI ortho rotate2.png 

30 Mar 2023   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Pior,

re:
> (in order to input the 4 points defining the axis or rotation and the desired amount of rotation at a glancing angle),

You can't get the last 2 out of the 4 points without leaving the viewport but you can type in your desired angle value instead of picking the 3rd and 4th points for it.

After you pick the first 2 points that set up the axis of rotation then type in 90 <enter>.

You can also set up a shortcut key where you can just pick the 2 axis points and automatically use 90 degrees without needing to type in that part.

To do that set this up on a shortcut key:

RotateAxis angleinput=90

- Michael
31 Mar 2023   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hello Michael !

Well, that's exactly it :D Much thanks as always !

I find it amusing that even after using 2pointrotate many, many times it never occurred to me to even look at the input field for the angle. I guess it can be seen a testament to how well-designed the tool is in the first place !

Thanks again.