MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: An aperiodic monotile

Show messages: All  1  2-12

23 Mar 2023   [#2] In reply to [#1]
It's a task for John Hargraves with its Nodoly & Elephant! ;)

Seems the svg don't be reloaded inside Moi!
23 Mar 2023   [#3]
Here is the small .obj which can be imported into MoI, with importObj, for further processing.

- Brian

Attachments:
monotile.zip

23 Mar 2023   [#4]
In general it's the beginning <svg viewBox="0 0 1536 754"
who has not "." or bad "," or... who makes the no loading inside MOI!

Not yet found the good syntax! :)

here my file svg generated from the program (first post) https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/~csk/hat/app.html

https://moiscript.weebly.com/uploads/3/9/3/8/3938813/output.svg

Should be something like that...or similar!

23 Mar 2023   [#5]
Ok I have it from SVG --> Affinity Designer with colors --> PDF ---> MOI but I have not yet colors!

23 Mar 2023   [#6]
Hi,

The generated svg file could be open with inkscape.

Inkscape says the figure is a clone of group.
Each supertile is a clone of group.

I think Moi could not read those clones.

But Inkscape can "unclone"

In Inkscape,
with Edition/Cloner/Délier le clone (Shift+Alt+D) (sorry my UI is french) You avoid clone
with Objet/Dégrouper (Shift+Ctrl+G) You ungroup
Doing this sequence till you have only objects in the description.

When you have only objects in inkscape, you can save the file and open it with MoI3D.
23 Mar 2023   [#7] In reply to [#6]
I've never heard of "svg clone".

A google search of "svg file clones" brought up multiple results.

"... and it was necessary to open them in an SVG editor, ungroup them, and then decompose everything from Clones down to Paths — in Inkscape the commands for this are:

Object | Ungroup
Path | Object to Path
..."

...Usually when SVG files don’t open it’s because:

they are a pixel image in an SVG wrapper (current versions should warn about this)
they are made up of objects which are stored and referenced internally — clone is the terminology used in Inkscape...

... TomWS
17d
It’s my understanding that Inkscape saves a file with full attributes and includes transformation equations in the header of the file. Plain SVG would apply those transformations before saving so any software that doesn’t know how to accurately apply those transformations would be able to use that.

Again IIRC, this is only relevant if you do clones of objects. The clone relies on the transformation tables to replicate in new orientations. Clones aren’t used that often from what I’ve seen, so generally there wouldn’t be a difference between files.

There is also a difference between versions of SVG files. I think really old SVG files used 72DPI, then they went to 90DPI, then, for a very brief time 92DPI, and now, 96DPI. The SVG files indicate resolution, but some software doesn’t pay attention to that so you end up with some scaling based on incorrect assumptions...

There is also some talk about avoiding "SVG Billion Laughs Attack" which I also do not understand.

- Brian
24 Mar 2023   [#8]
In fact seems faces colors is not supported by the formats imported SVG, PDF inside Moi...
24 Mar 2023   [#9]
It's so cool what you can do with honeycomb shapes.
I did some experiments with "pattern select" node,
And here are some periodic tiling: (You may need to squint to see the pattern!)

18 Sep 2023   [#10]

18 Sep 2023   [#11] In reply to [#10]

19 Sep 2023   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Very many thanks !...I like to add some wikipedia-info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_problem
best regards
Ken

Show messages: All  1  2-12