MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Compatibility Questions?

22 Mar 2023   [#1]
Hi Moi3d users, I have been using Moi3d for about three years now. And It always amazes me. As I learned and studied Moi I started to look at Rhino. So I ran it for three months and then I knew I needed to buy it. So I just bought it a few days ago. I really thought Moi and Rhino would work together a little better. So here is a list of functions that I have found in the last few days.

Moi3D will only open Rhino 5 files. So surprised that Moi wouldn't open a file from Rhino 7.

Also finding out that the SubD tools that recently were added in version 6 and 7 of Rhino will not export to Moi3D.

So far my experience with Rhino is awesome, But I am finding some things that I wish worked better together.

This one function really bothers me. In Rhino7 SubD they have the tab key set to toggle between smooth and flat. It will not work with older computers. You have to have a specific driver to even allow this function to work. So even though this laptop is quite old. It is windows 10 and has a solid state hard drive and the memory is completely cleared out. It will not use this super basic function due to a driver. Rhino should be able to make this feature of switching between smooth and flat work for all computers.

Also just tried to send a subD model from Rhino 7 to Moi3D using the version 5 export. That instantly does not work. Won't even load. So it seems that most of these problems are with the SubD in Rhino.

When I export other Rhino 3dm files they work with Moi very well. But I guess I was not expecting these little compatibility issues.

I am a huge fan of Moi3D and now a Rhino user. Both Programs are so awesome. I personally think Moi3D is the most beautiful, most vibrant, visually appealing, user friendly, finest program ever made. So being able to get all the added functionality from Rhino is like a dream.

If anyone has any info. On using these programs together I would really enjoy learning what you have figured out. Have a Great day.
22 Mar 2023   [#2] In reply to [#1]
I just tried something. I went into Rhino and exported this simple SubD model in OBJ. sent it over to Moi3D and tried to open it with the OBJ. import. No go. Won't load.
So it looks like The Sub D models I create in Rhino. I won't be able to open them in Moi, Sure hope I 'am missing something.
I will say I learned how to create the coolest SubD models in Moi3D following Pilou's tutorials. Thanks Pilou for all that you do.
Just thought about it. If I can't switch from smooth to flat in Rhino the Obj import will not work in Moi3D.
So in a way Rhino has made their program to not handshake with Moi. That kind of bums me out. I thought because they both use the 3dm file format they would cross reference flawlessly. Always learning.
22 Mar 2023   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Specktech,

For bringing a Rhino SubD object into MoI, use the ToNURBS command on it before exporting to a v5 3DM file:
https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/7/help/en-us/commands/tonurbs.htm

Or also another route is use ExtractControlPolygon on the Rhino SubD object and then export the polygon mesh object to an .obj file and use the MoI subd converter under SubD > Convert > "From file".

- Michael
22 Mar 2023   [#4] In reply to [#2]
Hi Specktech,

re:
> I just tried something. I went into Rhino and exported this simple SubD model in OBJ. sent it over to
> Moi3D and tried to open it with the OBJ. import. No go. Won't load.

Can you please post the .obj file here or e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com so I can take a look?

Thanks, - Michael
22 Mar 2023   [#5] In reply to [#3]
I completely forgot about that step. Thank you so much Michael. Have a wonderful day.
22 Mar 2023   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Specktech,

Also see here for some conversion utility programs that you can set up to be able to Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V copy/paste NURBS objects from Rhino to MoI:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=9890.18

- Michael
22 Mar 2023   [#7] In reply to [#2]
@ Specktech Thanks! :)
Here the thread about subdivision inside MOI : https://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=9689.1

The funny things is that you need only 5 tools sSplit, sBridge, sScale, Extrude, sSubdividBeta9 for make SUbdivision inside Moi!
But sufficient for cool little objects directly Nurbs!

Sure that is some rustic against dedicated prog like the free Rocket3F but... (who has a direct Bridge in the 2 ways with MOI) https://rocket3f.com

Always for the fun...I have found something free Online between Blender & Tinkercad ! :)
Figuro Designer! :) (polymodeler of light subdivision)
https://www.figuro.io/Designer
22 Mar 2023   [#8] In reply to [#5]
I just tried that in quite a few different ways. Still not able to get the file to load. I will recreate a few simple subD models and test them. I will send a few as soon as I get a few more tests. Thanks again for all your tips.
22 Mar 2023   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Update. I have been trying many different things. I will try to explain what I am finding.
I go into Rhino, Select SubD, create a super simple subD box from the primitives. I tweak it a little extrude it a bit and scale it out. Then I convert it to nurbs,
Then I go to export. As soon as I select export in Rhino 5 I feel like this step removes the functionality of the file. Its like the programming for version 7 is not compatible with any lower version exports.
I am looking and reading at that file conversion script you posted. With the copy to clipboard path. Going to work on getting this setup.
So it seems like the subD coming from Rhino won't load as soon as its converted to version 5. It does make sense. Lots of features including SubD are quite new for Rhino.
22 Mar 2023   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Hi Specktech

> So it seems like the subD coming from Rhino won't load as soon as its converted to version 5.

Before you do the export are you selecting the version that was converted with the ToNURBS command?

What you described could happen if you had the SubD object selected when you did the v5 export.

Can you please post the .3dm files (v7 and saved as v5 versions) that you were describing here or e-mail them to me at moi@moi3d.com so I can take a look?

Thanks, - Michael
22 Mar 2023   [#11] In reply to [#10]
I think I just figured out something. I might not have been doing the mesh to nurbs conversion correctly in Rhino. I just did a few more and I got it to load into Moi.
It was really giving me a fit. But I just kept trying it. I think I might have figured out my problem. My end goal....Might sound silly. But I am going to use Moi3D any time that Rhino kicks me. I have slowly learned how to fix so many models using Moi3D.
And quite often I will send my Moi files over to ViaCAD to run certain fillets. Using Rocket and Wings and Blender sending them to the Obj importer in Moi. Its amazing learning how to combine all these programs. I think I might be okay for the moment....Thanks Michael. Have to say Michael every file I load into Moi3D just looks so beautiful. I use that porcelain lighting and it always looks so incredible. I personally think all Rhino users should have an add on called Moi3D. Thanks again.
22 Mar 2023   [#12] In reply to [#11]
That was exactly what I was doing. I must have had the model selected when I was doing the export. Gee whiz. Thanks M.G.
22 Mar 2023   [#13]
_importObj works like a charm with a Figuro Designer Object ! :)

But seem a little problem with SUBD Native!