MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: How to make this a solid

11 Mar 2023   [#1]
Good day.

I need to make this fin into a solid shape to 3d print.

What would be the best way close it up and make it a solid?

Thank you!

Attachments:
fins.3dm

11 Mar 2023   [#2] In reply to [#1]
you want close the background(s) or give a thickness to this ribbon, or make the complete figure as a volume ?
11 Mar 2023   [#3] In reply to [#2]
The shape should be the thickness of the ribbon
11 Mar 2023   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Dear Matadem,
From my experience in this kind of Fin shape that you want to create as a closed 3D solid, I am sending you this picture to understand how you can do it plus the result of it.
Hope you will manage to do it.

Attachments:
fins MOD.3dm

Image Attachments:
Fin Answer.jpg 

11 Mar 2023   [#5] In reply to [#1]
Hi Matadem, the best way is to model it as a solid block that is cut, rather than modeling it as a 3D ribbon that needs to be filled.

For a curve like this one here:

Which when viewed from the top has a 2D silhouette profile:

you don't want to be directly constructing the 3D version of that curve - instead you want to have a 2D profile curve which cuts an extended solid block.

So for your case here the extended solid block would be an extrusion of this planar profile curve:

Then select the extended block and use boolean difference to cut it with these 2D profile curves:

That will cut up the solid into several solid pieces:

Discard the outside pieces leaving the inner one that you want for the result:

The main thing is that when you form a shape as a solid that is cut by 2d profile curves, the resulting pieces will already be solids with "side walls" left behind from the cutting curves so it's already filled in.

- Michael

Attachments:
fins_solid.3dm

Image Attachments:
matadem_fin1.jpg  matadem_fin2.jpg  matadem_fin3.jpg  matadem_fin4.jpg  matadem_fin5.jpg  matadem_fin6.jpg  matadem_fin7.jpg 

11 Mar 2023   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Dear Mr Gibson,

This is better then mine because I follow your method and it was very good, thanks a lot.
11 Mar 2023   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Also if you make the x/y plane profile to be a closed curve then you can generate the result with boolean intersection without needing to discard anything:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
matadem_fin8.jpg  matadem_fin9.jpg