MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Ring with anti skid break

Show messages:  1-18  19-29

21 Feb 2023   [#19]
Hi Berry,
your model is very near to the goal I try to reach. Thanks a lot!!!
I need to reshape the profiles rounder what I did now. And I must reshape the height line for sweeping.
I fail after so many tries with reshaping the height line. Why is it not possible to round the ends of the heigtht line with filleting? Or do I have to reconstruct the height line in an other way?

best, Mala

Attachments:
Var IIII_.3dm

Image Attachments:
round reshape the ends.png 

21 Feb 2023   [#20]
Shit - I guess I got it. I tried so many times the arc tool with two deffinition points...and failed always. Now it worked. And I was able to make a relatively proper heightline. BUT - not fully perfect: At the end of the banana there is a little irritation...but it should work. Best, thx, Mala

Image Attachments:
got it point.png  got it spline.png  got it split.png 

21 Feb 2023   [#21]
...hmmm´, like thought. I can flow deform the banana. But the filleting at the ring segment: calculation fails. No idea how to construct the banana better than how it is now?

Image Attachments:
Got it Calculation FAILED.png 

21 Feb 2023   [#22]
Now I made an extrusion to avoid a conflict when booling with the ring. I guess it is not state of the art. But in 1 hour I need the ring for 3d SLA-print. Later I fill rubber into the 3d model...

Image Attachments:
GOT IT A.png  GOT IT B.png  GOT IT C.png 

23 Feb 2023   [#23]
I cannot do filetting with the "banana". Where is my mistake?
In the 3d file the banana and the ring are not booled or trimmed (not sure which operation is here state of the art - I do not yet exactly the difference)
But for filleting I cuted both objects and connected them.

Attachments:
filleting of banana fails.3dm

Image Attachments:
filetting fails.png 

23 Feb 2023   [#24] In reply to [#23]
Hi Mala,

re:
> booled or trimmed (not sure which operation is here state of the art - I do not yet exactly the difference)

If you have a solid then booleans are good, the booleans cut pieces up and then decide which pieces to keep based on which solid volume they are contained inside of.

If you have open surfaces then that's usually when you should use Trim - Trim doesn't automatically decide which pieces to remove, you have to pick the pieces you want to get rid of.

On your model I'm not sure why Filleting doesn't work but if you break the object apart into individual surfaces you can use surface/surface filleting on it by selecting 2 surfaces at a time instead of edges.

I can help you do that, what radius do you want?

- Michael
23 Feb 2023   [#25]
I would like to understand and learn it myself. And it is still in progress. So it does not make so much sense giving the diameter of filleting. One learning I have in the meantime is trim vs. bool. Here in the attached file I put the banana to the cylinder first with the Trim operation and then the Bool: Union joined together. Filleting with the separated surfaces did not work.

Attachments:
filleting of banana fails 2.3dm

23 Feb 2023   [#26] In reply to [#25]
Hi Mala,

re:
> Filleting with the separated surfaces did not work.

It's working for me over here, here is what it looks like:

- Michael
23 Feb 2023   [#27]
A way to find the problem of fileting here is perhaps a problem in your banana.
If you use SelectNakededges on the banana, you will see a problem with double edges zone.
Perhaps, a problem in the banana's creation ?
23 Feb 2023   [#28]
Test this one with a reconstruction using loft and blend creation

Attachments:
filleting of banana fails 2_1.3dm

23 Feb 2023   [#29] In reply to [#27]
Yup Phiro is right there is a naked edge on your base model here:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
mala_ring17.jpg 

Show messages:  1-18  19-29