MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Ring with anti skid break

Show messages:  1-20  21-29

17 Feb 2023   [#1]
Hi - long ago I needed (and here was my thread about) - a ring with a kind of a brake. This short brake line had the same bend direction like the ring.
Now I need the break line again but into the other direction then the ring bending. Hmmm, no idea how to achieve this. Ideas?

Attachments:
LABOR WORKFLOW_.3dm

Image Attachments:
deform with an arc line AGAINST ring direction.png  deform with an arc line conform to ring direction.png 

17 Feb 2023   [#2]
Old thread:
http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=10096.21#a10096_23
17 Feb 2023   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Mala, I might need to see a sketch approximation of what you want to be sure I understand.

But maybe one approach could be to model the ridge as a separate object then boolean union it with the ring and fillet the edges, something like this:

- Michael

Attachments:
LABOR WORKFLOW_2.3dm

Image Attachments:
mala_ring1.jpg  mala_ring2.jpg  mala_ring3.jpg  mala_ring4.jpg 

17 Feb 2023   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Michael, thx.
It seems to be a misunderstanding coming out of my poor english.
The line should be pretty near in shape like I showed in the initial beginning of the thread. But the direction is to the other side.
Means not the bend like the red line. The green line is the goal.

Image Attachments:
deform with an arc line conform to ring direction.png  deform with an arc line conform to ring direction_.png 

17 Feb 2023   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Mala, I'm not really understanding how you would expect the green line to connect up with the ring:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
mala_ring5.jpg 

17 Feb 2023   [#6] In reply to [#4]
Dir

Exact same blend as the red line. But convex and concave of blend reversed...

Image Attachments:
dir_dots.jpg 

17 Feb 2023   [#7] In reply to [#4]
Is this curve in your file a path that you want the protrusion to follow? :

I set up some profile curves to do a sweep using that path as the sweep rail:

The idea is to make the protrusion modeled as a separate object to sink down into the ring so they can be booleaned with each other and then put a fillet on it:

But like I was saying before if the protrusion is vertical it is not over the ring and will go off of it:

- Michael

Attachments:
LABOR WORKFLOW_3.3dm

Image Attachments:
mala_ring10.jpg  mala_ring6.jpg  mala_ring7.jpg  mala_ring8.jpg  mala_ring9.jpg 

17 Feb 2023   [#8] In reply to [#4]
Burr's looks good!

Here's a try with making a sweep again but with the profiles rotated at an angle rather than being straight up.

Then it's booleaned and filleted:

- Michael

Attachments:
LABOR WORKFLOW_4.3dm

Image Attachments:
mala_ring11.jpg 

17 Feb 2023   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Yours looks much more variable or customizable for adjusting the shape result.

I would go with this.
18 Feb 2023   [#10]
Thanks a lot for your tries. They give me an idea of the workflow.
Here is a little bit more the goal I need to reach. However, as gentle waves all around.

Attachments:
BRAKE_MOI FORUM.3dm

Image Attachments:
brake.png 

18 Feb 2023   [#11] In reply to [#10]
Hi Mala, another technique that could be good is if you are able to form that centerline fin with the shape you want then you can use the Transform > Deform > Flow command to map an already swept world-axis-aligned shape onto it.

The advantage to this is that it is much easier to adjust the shape of the sweep when it's constructed straight in a world axis direction.

To do this you create a regular plane and construct the sweep based on that. Then you select the sweep and run the Transform > Deform > Flow command, and select the plane as the base surface and the fin as the target surface. Note that where you click on the base and target surfaces is significant for controlling how they will be matched, some info here:
https://moi3d.com/4.0/docs/moi_command_reference8.htm#flow

That looks like this:

Then it's Edit > Trim to cut the pieces up, Edit > Join to glue them together and Construct > Fillet to round the edges:

- Michael

Attachments:
BRAKE_MOI FORUM2.3dm

Image Attachments:
mala_ring12.jpg  mala_ring13.jpg  mala_ring14.jpg 

18 Feb 2023   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Oooooo……

Ahhhhh…….
18 Feb 2023   [#13]
I agree with Burr Man - ahhh oooh - I try it out this afternoon. THANK YOU!
19 Feb 2023   [#14]
A start. Yes. Pretty cool. The only thing that's not good yet are the sharp, top edges running out to the cylinder. They should be softer. However, the filleting stops at 1.5 mm.

Image Attachments:
a beginning.png 

Message 10987.15 was deleted

20 Feb 2023   [#16]
This is "exactly" the shape of my brake. However, the shape is not yet perfect. I have done a two rail sweep. Is it the edges of the contour line? Because it is ideal from the side, but not from above. Do I have to change that?

Attachments:
RUTSCHHEMMER Var II__________MOI FORUM OUTPUT.3dm

Image Attachments:
CORPO.png  WIRE.png 

20 Feb 2023   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Hi Mala, I'm sorry I'm not understanding what you want to have it do different than what you currently have.

One thing though is if you edit the middle curve so that it's centered you can use it as a scaling rail to control the height.

Like this:

- Michael

Attachments:
Mala_brake.3dm

Image Attachments:
mala_ring15.jpg  mala_ring16.jpg 

20 Feb 2023   [#18] In reply to [#16]
Hi,
try the attached network solution it gets rid of the pinching on the ends.
Cheers
Barry

Attachments:
Network.3dm

21 Feb 2023   [#19]
Hi Berry,
your model is very near to the goal I try to reach. Thanks a lot!!!
I need to reshape the profiles rounder what I did now. And I must reshape the height line for sweeping.
I fail after so many tries with reshaping the height line. Why is it not possible to round the ends of the heigtht line with filleting? Or do I have to reconstruct the height line in an other way?

best, Mala

Attachments:
Var IIII_.3dm

Image Attachments:
round reshape the ends.png 

21 Feb 2023   [#20]
Shit - I guess I got it. I tried so many times the arc tool with two deffinition points...and failed always. Now it worked. And I was able to make a relatively proper heightline. BUT - not fully perfect: At the end of the banana there is a little irritation...but it should work. Best, thx, Mala

Image Attachments:
got it point.png  got it spline.png  got it split.png 

Show messages:  1-20  21-29