MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: can not create a solid because of naked edges

Show messages: All  1-14  15-18

8 Feb 2023   [#15] In reply to [#14]
Hi BurrMan,

looks like a lot of work.
Thank you very much for the detailed demonstration.

helps a lot.
8 Feb 2023   [#16] In reply to [#15]
“””””” looks like a lot of work.””””””

Not really. The video is about 15 minutes and add a couple to get it uploaded.

If i was just doing the “work”, i would launch the move tool and pound it out with construction lines.

Maybe 1 minute 30 seconds of work.
13 Feb 2023   [#17]
So interesting how you fixed this model. Amazes me how such small errors in the geometry can cause these problems.
Thanks so much for making this video BurrMan. Many times I will be creating some really complicated organic shape. And I know I am probably dealing with these same kinds of errors.
Many times I struggle to get certain models to turn into a solid. So I usually just try it some different way. Till I get it. But actually seeing these micro errors is so valuable. Going to try your technique. Thanks Man.
14 Feb 2023   [#18] In reply to [#17]
Hey speck,

“”””””” Many times I will be creating some really complicated organic shape. And I know I am probably dealing with these same kinds of errors”””””””

Be careful about leading yourself into futility. I would do this in cases where i can easily determine “this should work”…. Moreso than “this doesnt work”….

For instance. A simple square with some fillets. (Kind of like this particular model)

If you have a very complex shape, organic etc. it may be difficult to use this to find errors.

So the first step was finding the bad surfaces. Then determine how/why those are bad and reverse that… that is the better takeaway than “check for tangencies” so to speak.

Just a heads up

Glad it helped though. You’re welcome.

Show messages: All  1-14  15-18