MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: MoI UV fix - Houdini

Show messages: All  1-8  9-13

13 May 2023   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Prior,

Sure, sorry for the delay, I missed the notification.
In the meantime here's an updated version, using a lame brute force approach to reduce the stretching ... it seems to work better than the one made with my bad trigonometry / vector skills.

Does is works better than tagging / unwarp edge using existing MoI uv's boundaries ?

Short reply : NO

Long reply :

1) I'm facing a lot of Hou crash whit the Flatten method ... as I'm only manipulate existing data here, the 'tool' is quite robust.
2) 90% of the uv's coming from MoI are actually good, except they are stretched in u or v direction. They are also perfectly grid aligned : torus shape or tubes output a 'perfect' aligned rectangle, helping the packing process to maximize uv space.

Ultimately I could add a last check that will re-flatten the island that are still too distorted (easy), but I will only do it once I resolve the uv-flatten crash on some of those surfaces.

Image Attachments:
CaduvFIX2.JPG 

10 Jan   [#10]
Hello, here's an updated version, using the last feature from Moi5 Beta to generate proper surface ID.
That's about the third time I rebuild this tool, the execution time is almost instant, and there is no more iteration to "find" the best value.
Create the layout / udim however can still take a few second / minutes depending of the number of surfaces (using native Hou UVLayout).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGfRWSs-uw

Build on Houdini 20.0.547

Attachments:
sop_qwak.CADuvFIX_MoI5.1.0.hdalc

10 Jan   [#11]
Cool!
11 Jan   [#12]
PaQ, would this work with Houdini Apprentice?
11 Jan   [#13] In reply to [#12]
It should yes, however the geo output options are quite limited (ROP operators are disabled IIRC). You can only export geo by right click on a node and select export geo ... and in the case of apprentice only .obj works, and I'm not 100% sure uv's are preserved. But I haven't used apprentice since a while !

Show messages: All  1-8  9-13