MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: basic move / alignment

29 Sep 2022   [#1]
Hello,

I'm still in trouble with some basic alignments.

Case1: Select an object by its center and move to world center or a specific world position.

Case 2: Center object to another one (align objects)

Also can I change the object shade mode? Like solid, wireframe, etc

Thanks a lot,
Ulisses
29 Sep 2022   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi ulisses,

re:
> Case1: Select an object by its center and move to world center or a specific world position.

Select your object, then run the Transform > Move command.

At the first prompt where it says "Pick base point" in the command prompt area in the upper right of the window, click the button labeled "Bounding box center", here:

That now establishes that the point you want to re-position is the object's bounding box center.

The next prompt in the move command says "Pick target point". If you want to go to a specific x,y,z coordinate value you can type in the coordinates and push enter to place the target point at that position.

If you want to move it to the world center you can snap there with the mouse using the "Origin" object snap or you can type in 0 and push Enter to specify 0,0,0 as the target point.

> Case 2: Center object to another one (align objects)

Usually you would do this by selecting both objects and then run Transform > Align and pick the target spot to align both of them to.

If you want to set up a target point at the center of another object you can use the BoundingBoxCenter command to place a point there for you to snap onto. To use it set up a shortcut key and put in BoundingBoxCenter for the command name.

> Also can I change the object shade mode? Like solid, wireframe, etc

You can turn on hidden lines under View > "Display hidden lines" checkbox. You can get a sort of wireframe mode by hiding faces, there are some keyboard shortcuts you can set up for this here: http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#ShadedDisplayMode .

- Michael

Image Attachments:
move_from_center.jpg 

30 Sep 2022   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thanks Michael, very helpful.