MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Another Fillet question / problem

11 Sep 2022   [#1]
I often due multiple extrudes on solids which creates extra (unwanted) edges for each additional extrusion.

Problem... the fillet fails if the distance between the top edge and lower, initial extrusion edge is less than the fillet radius.

The attached file includes an example where the larger cylinder was extruded a second time by 0.5mm and the smaller diameter cylinder second extrusion = 1mm. If a fillet radius is used that exceeds these dimensions, then the fillet fails.

I'm hoping someone can provide me a method to eliminate these 'extra' lines so the fillets will work? Of course I can re-create (replace) the solid with the final extruded length to eliminate the extra edges, but this solution is obviously time intensive for any complex solids.

Thank you.

Scott

PS -- This message is definitely not meant as a complaint! MOI3d is such a pleasure to use! Cheers.

Attachments:
eval file clutch top plate_fillet problem 20220911.3dm

11 Sep 2022   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi scott, 2 adjacent faces that are coplanar fragments of the same larger plane can be merged using boolean union but there isn't currently an automatic way to merge together 2 extrusions.

So for the time being to merge them you would need to delete the current fragments and then make a larger extrusion going over the full extent and then join that in.

I've attached a version where I've done that, it should be easier to fillet this one.

- Michael

Attachments:
eval file clutch top plate_fillet problem 20220911_2.3dm

12 Sep 2022   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thank you for the 'instantaneous' reply.

After perusing the forum messages, I wanted to ensure I didn't overlook some of your magic. For now I'll focus on streamlining my workflow as the best solution.

Thanks again.

Scott