MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Move from

Show messages:  1-9  10-24

7 Sep 2022   [#10] In reply to [#7]
@Pilou : well, one can't say "why don't you do x ?" to someone who's precisely asking how to do x ...
Edit : Ha, nevermind, I see you've added steps now.

@mk : Based on your initial description is seemed that you wanted to move an object along a specific direction, of a certain amount of units - which is done either by first drafting a regular line to help you with it, or, as described in the steps I outlined, by defining the desired vector and reference points using the click-and-drag helper lines.

But now it seems that you want to *place* and object at a certain distance to another. So for that, you need to either draft a line that will specify the desired distance ; or, use the realtime helper lines (and more particularly, the points defining them) to establish this distance. To do so, you need to :

> Initiate Move
> while move is in idle, click-and-drag from a point on your target object, and move the mouse in the direction the target point will be (in your case, horizontally)
> type in the desired distance. This will put a little dot at the target distance, and also an End reference point
> to be more safe, mark this end point by placing another helper line. Now it will be impossible to miss
> this is now your target point to snap to for the move

As shown here in two scenarios :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE_Vr7YquEE

Arguably it would be much clearer if the End points were actually shown on screen, as opposed to being hidden but snappable. If that was the case I would personally use this method much more often, but I must say that I always end up drafting an actual line, because relying on hidden dots is way too dangerous and caused me to incorrectly draft things too many times. Ideally both the typed-in distance as well as the end point should both show on screen. Perhaps there is a way to do that already, but I don't know how.
7 Sep 2022   [#11] In reply to [#9]
Looks like it's easier to use Move command 2 times, that's what usually do.
Just two clicks.
Move to touch the object, Enter, type the distance and voila.
I thought that it was possible here by just one click.
7 Sep 2022   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Outside of manually drafting lines (or circles) for reference that's personally what I tend to do, too.
Now I may very well be missing some functionality of the helper lines. As said I certainly wish they would carry more on-screen information (even temporarily), as that would make them immensely more useful and would in turn save quite a bit of drafting time.
There's a custom command making them more permanent, but without distances being shown it's only limited to directions and vertical/horizontal references really.
(By the way, there are a few more features under the little tag that appears when drafting helper lines, but I don't think there is anything about distances in there)
7 Sep 2022   [#13] In reply to [#11]
Another robust solution! :)

And yes helper lines are very under employed! :)
7 Sep 2022   [#14] In reply to [#11]
Hi Marek,

re:
> Looks like it's easier to use Move command 2 times, that's what usually do.
> Just two clicks.
> Move to touch the object, Enter, type the distance and voila.
> I thought that it was possible here by just one click.

It's probably easiest to do it with 2 moves like you are describing here.

You can do it within one run of the Move command by using construction lines though, there is a slight trick to that where you'll want to make the construction line first before you pick the first point of the Move command.

That's because once you have picked the first point in the Move command, that will become the "base point" which means any distance constraint will be anchored at that point.

So the sequence using a construction line goes like this:

Select the object you want to move and run the Transform > Move command.

Now before picking the point on the object that you want to position, type in your desired distance value and push Enter. That will set a pending distance constraint to be used with the next point pick that uses a base point.

Now Drag out a construction line off of the other object that you want to be positioned from, from your previous screenshot I think it's the midpoint of the other object?

The distance constraint will be applied to the Construction line making an "end" snap point available at your desired ending position so now you can pick the base point on your object and the target point on the construction line End snap point.

Here's what it looks like:

I'd probably just use Move twice though.

- Michael
8 Sep 2022   [#15] In reply to [#14]
My mind immediately went to an “R” constraint when i read his described method.

Do you think that works for his question?
8 Sep 2022   [#16] In reply to [#15]
Hi Burr, yes that's true you can use relative point entry for this too, typing in r100,0 (an x,y coordinate prefixed with the letter "r") instead of using distance constraint if you want.

You can use that on a second time with the Move command after having first placed the object to be moved onto the other object's reference point.

There is also a way you can use relative coordinates to do it in just one use of Move too. To do that type in r-100,0 (note negative x value for this particular case) before you pick the first point for the move, that will displace the actual picked base point to be 100 units to the left of your clicked base point.

That looks like this:

- Michael
8 Sep 2022   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Great. Thanks for making the video!

The second way was what i was thinking. Thanks for confirming it did what i thought. Have been away from my computer alot lately.
8 Sep 2022   [#18] In reply to [#16]
When I try to execute this procedure I get an error as attached:

Image Attachments:
r-5.PNG 

8 Sep 2022   [#19] In reply to [#18]
Hi Marek,

re:
> When I try to execute this procedure I get an error as attached:

The relative point input needs a point coordinate, either an x,y value (which will use z=0) or an x,y,z value.

Also if your locale's number system uses the comma as the decimal separator then put it in as a space between the x and y coordinates instead of a comma between them.

So either r-5,0 or r-5 0 if you use commas as decimal separators.

- Michael
9 Sep 2022   [#20] In reply to [#19]
Hi Michael,

Got it, finally!
The only way is to type in:

r-5 0

As both r-5 and r-5,0 return error.

This adds another functionality of sophisticated apps which cost at least 10 times more than MoI.

Thank you,
Marek
9 Sep 2022   [#21]
Finally found a recorder compatible with the "Trapezoïd" of the Helper Line ! :)

Click Move the Cline without release on the black rectangle edge
I take & write here 7 Enter ... after the calling Trapezoïd then move the Clines
(you can also move them only by eyes on the complete values)

9 Sep 2022   [#22] In reply to [#21]
Got you.
Thanks.
Small problem, you need 4 or 5 mouse clicks.

Gets bigger if you have more objects to relocate.
9 Sep 2022   [#23] In reply to [#22]
Yes but when you want a very precise distance...
9 Sep 2022   [#24] In reply to [#23]
2 Moves or r-x 0 which is the little gem is the answer.

Show messages:  1-9  10-24