MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: How can I fillet edges here?

25 Aug 2022   [#1]
I can't fillet these sharp corners. I also have faces that are somehow detached from the figure, but the figure itself is solid

Attachments:
sharik.3dm

Image Attachments:
изображение_2022-08-25_150445319.png  изображение_2022-08-25_150859305.png 

25 Aug 2022   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Incoler,

re:
> I also have faces that are somehow detached from the figure, but the figure itself is solid

This is just a display artifact where the display mesh for the shaded surface didn't happen to get a lot of triangles. Just ignore that.

For the fillet, that's a type of "mixed convexity" case that is difficult to fill in. It may be better to have done all the fillets in that area at the same time instead of having done some pieces in a previous separate pass.

I'll see if I can come up with any other tips.

- Michael
25 Aug 2022   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thanks, Michael

I actually did what you said and remade that, now that works

Image Attachments:
изображение_2022-08-26_001528465.png 

25 Aug 2022   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Incoler, that's great. Putting on fillets in separate passes can make things more difficult basically because the new fillets now have to traverse the previous fillet geometry as well.

When it's done all at once then it's able to put in corner juncture patches where 2 fillets run into each other and that tends to help a lot.

But you can do the fillets in separate passes if you have some that you want to have a large radius, the large radius ones should go first.

- Michael