MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Modeling rocks

26 Jul 2022   [#1]
Good day.
What is the best way to model a rock shape in Moi?
Should not to be very accurate just a approximately looks like a rock and random shapes.

Thank you!
26 Jul 2022   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Metadem, CAD programs like MoI are focused on making accurate man made type mechanical parts. Rocks do not fit in that category of shapes, so MoI is not the right tool to use for that kind of object.

Something like ZBrush or 3D Coat would be a good fit for it. Or you might try Sculptris.

- Michael
26 Jul 2022   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Google search of "modeling shape of rocks" brings up numerous scientific papers on Rock formation and modeling.

At my location, past Glaciers and Rivers do a lot of the forming of rock shapes...

- Brian
26 Jul 2022   [#4]
Srictly in Moi3D you can use SubD functions by Max Smirnov for some blocky rounded rocks ;)

26 Jul 2022   [#5]
Something like that will do...is there anyway to have a rougher surface?

Thank you!
27 Jul 2022   [#6] In reply to [#5]
We have been using MOI3D to create primitives for an almost free ($6 donation) surface modeling program called MeshMolder. https://www.meshmolder.com/

In these images we see a Sphere deformed by pushing and pulling points in MOI3D then exported as .OBJ. It was then imported to Meshmolder for surfacing with a rough texture. The whole process took just a few minutes. The pushing and pulling can cause surface breaks which can be fixed in Meshmolder.

MOI3D and MeshMolder make for a very good combination of tools. Ultimately, the developer of Meshmolder hopes to have a similarly priced rendering engine.

Image Attachments:
MOI3DRock.png  RockfromMOI3D.png 

27 Jul 2022   [#7]
In Moi you can make rocks in "hard surfaces"
like this https://www.freepik.com/premium-vector/big-stone-with-rough-surface-cartoon-rock-boulder-isolated-white-background_22143143.htm

But not this...too difficult to have this level of detail! ;)

23 Aug 2022   [#8]
one way can be this:

Download 3D rocks models and convert these quad mesh topology objects with Blender (a free program) and then import them into Moi3D as subdivision surfaces.
tutorial triangulated mesh to quad

and with another free application

Be careful not to use a high resolution.

Here in this link you can download rocks suitable to be imported into Moi3D for free.
https://free3d.com/3d-model/rock-boulder-and-stone-collection-236212.html

Below those rocks imported as SubD without remeshing because they are ready with quad topology.

Greetings.

Image Attachments:
Free-FBX-Rocks_imported.png 

16 Mar 2023   [#9]
Here's a great way to model flat edge rocks.

1.) Draw irregular polygon shapes on each of the 3 axes (I used three 5-sided shapes).
2.) Select all three closed shapes and run the boolean merge command.
3.) Delete all the extraneous parts and you're left with a rock shape.

It's hard to control with any artistic eye, but the results are very easy to produce.

I found that you can "find your groove" when doing this process and make oblong rocks or whatever.

I'd imagine you could make the rock more "shale-like" if you change the lines to slight concave curves.
A "tumbled rock" look could be achieved with convex curves.

Nothing beats the SubD process for boulders and round river rock though.

Note: I should mention that Pilou made me aware of this way of modelling. He's a genius!

-- Cody

Image Attachments:
rock-merge-steps.jpg 

16 Mar 2023   [#10] In reply to [#9]
:) Cool...you must now make some landscapes render with them! ;)

Not made here but look this other trick ;) Input an image of your Moi's Objects (your rocks) inside Wombo with some % influence ...et voilĂ ! :)
https://www.wombo.art/

Or in direct you can also with The magic free Wombo ;)
tiny cubic geometrical rocks filling landscape

16 Mar 2023   [#11]
Here with a poly modeler but that will be exactly the same in Moi3D! :)
Just use the ExplodeMove Function after any Trim (Press Tab write ExplodeMove) hidden function...

16 Mar 2023   [#12]
Other method
Boolean Merge + Fillets

16 Mar 2023   [#13]
With Voronoi! ;) The more easy of all technics! ;)
Select all
Boolean Merge + Explode Move! ;) Fillets on some pieces if wanted...

16 Mar 2023   [#14] In reply to [#13]
>> With Voronoi! ;) The more easy of all technics! ;)

You win, Pilou! ;-)