MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Cross Hatching experiment

Show messages:  1-18  19-38  39-58  59-62

4 Aug 2022   [#59]
Hello,

I us the curve start and end marking so I can keep continuity of the shading curves across surfaces. If a pronounced separation between surfaces is desired then I wouldn't use the mark start/end.

In the image example I started at one end equally spacing points around the end using array curve, then iso at points, then for every subsequent surface I marked the generated curves with mark at start/end depending on the curve direction and repeated the iso at points command.

That left me with a whole set of lines which I then exported with a raster background to .ai using the default lighting in MoI. I then trimmed the excess transparent raster data from the background image so the bounding box of the vector curves matched the background image.

At that point there are multiple ways to post process the file to get the look and application you use, but they all usually involve adjusting the levels of the background image, converting the background to a limited color vector image and then using that background vector to perform automatic or manual operations to the set of vector shading curves.

I may be mistaken but the operations developed by Michael are getting you much further ahead in MoI itself. Getting contiguous shading curves out of MoI cleanly trimmed by using lighting in MoI just leaves having to specify curve width and/or vector brush stroke type. That leaves you with limitless aesthetic options when you have a clean set of vector curves. Being able to add/tune things like dash/dot and stroke style is something done easily enough outside of MoI in nearly every vector illustration program, this hatching feature can save a bunch of work in the middle of the process.

Image Attachments:
pipe.jpg 

6 Aug 2022   [#60]
Michael,

Thank you for trying a couple of methods on the ring. I prefer the sparse version because it gives fewer radial fragments on the top of the ring. I'm surprised by how even the tone is on the top of the ring in ring2 and ring4 while also looking smooth. I'll try some more experiments to see if I could live with the deviations between the line trajectories and the UV direction field.

OSTexo,

Nice pipe! Thank you for explaining. I now understand how you're using start and end markings. That's a great trick that I'll definitely use.
11 Sep 2022   [#61]
In anticipation of the release of cross hatching here's a script that allows the hatch direction to be changed on planar faces of solids.

Attachments:
UVchanger-plane.js

Image Attachments:
UVchanger-plane.gif 

11 Sep 2022   [#62]
UVchanger-plane
Works like a charm!

Show messages:  1-18  19-38  39-58  59-62