MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: History → Script?

26 Nov 2021   [#1]
Hi - is there a way to get/record a history of actions , so I can then turn them into a script?
Some other software like Fireworks way back, and Blender today let you do this and it is the easiest way to learn about and build custom scripts.
Thanks for any clues (new to MOI3D, might be missing the obvious)
26 Nov 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi d4u, sorry no there isn't currently a mechanism for doing that.

- Michael
26 Nov 2021   [#3]
Thanks for the super fast response -
Given that is the idl file posted somewhere here up to date for the 4.0 API set?
26 Nov 2021   [#4]
<<< History → Script?
Not exactly that you want but something...similar :)

26 Nov 2021   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Hi d4u,

re:
> Given that is the idl file posted somewhere here up to date for the 4.0 API set?

Sorry actually no it isn't. Part of the rewrite to make v4 a true cross platform code base changed how the script interface is implemented internally and it no longer uses a moi.idl file to generate COM Automation interface code as it did before.

The overall focus for MoI is on being a simplified and streamlined CAD program that is easy to use and fluid to operate. Script writing is not really contained inside of that target area and so it doesn't get as much attention as work that is included in the main target goal.

If script writing is a major focus for you, you may be better served by a different program that has it as one of its main targeted areas unlike MoI. Rhino could be a good choice.

At some point in the future I would like to devote more effort towards scripting. I'm not sure when that will happen though there is still other work that has higher priority.

- Michael
26 Nov 2021   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Thanks Michael for honest answers.
I bought into Moi3D today anyways because what makes it great is "quick, fuss free and reliable Nurbs based shape generation". I do own a license of Rhino as well. Every design software I own, I try to customize and automate some of the procedural form-giving best practices for my ID design job - targeted to my needs at scale. So yes not your target audience but I enjoy MOI3D's functionality nonetheless ;)
26 Nov 2021   [#7]
I don't know if you work with a PC or Mac.

I work on a PC and in the past (at my last job)
i used AutoIt often to automate tasks in programs
that didn't have a scripting function.
( You can use it to send keystrokes and mouse commands. )

You could also use a macro recorder for something like that.
Have not used it with Moi, but I think that could be possible too.