MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Build problem

23 Nov 2021   [#1]
Hello everyone!
I can't make the bathtub on curves.
Can you please tell me where is my mistake?

Attachments:
vann.3dm

23 Nov 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi krass, if you want to use Network the curves need to form a 2D regular grid. But in your case here in one of the grid directions you have one closed curve:

And the other curve in the same grid direction is an open curve:

For Network, the curves in one grid direction must all be either open or all closed, not a mix open and closed.

So to Network this you would need to split the closed curve into 2 pieces:

If you do that then it will be possible to select all the curves and use Construct > Network on them. But the quality won't be that great, you will get a kind of pinching effect where the network has its poles.

You'd probably get better quality if you made a blocky initial shape with multiple faces with sharp edges and then fillet rather than trying to construct it as just one single surface.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
krass_closed_crv.jpg  krass_open_crv.jpg  krass_split.jpg 

23 Nov 2021   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thanks for the explanation, Michael!
I will try with a "solid piece of granite";))

So far, this is what I got. In principle, it would suit me. But I cannot understand (find the reason) why the surfaces do not merge into a solid. You can view?

Attachments:
vann2.3dm

23 Nov 2021   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi krass,

re:
> But I cannot understand (find the reason) why the surfaces do not merge into a solid. You can view?

Your object is already a solid, the file you posted contains one object which is a solid:

There are some messy areas in these juncture spots though:

It looks like there was some 3 sided networks done in those spots because the surfaces are awkwardly collapsing down to a point in those spots:

I'd recommend to not use Network in this manner to patch in 3 sided holes because it's difficult to get good shaping when you have collapsing poles like this.

Instead it would probably be better to build a blocky initial result and use fillets to round off transition areas rather than trying to construct surfaces that have a transition between shapes being baked into them.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
krass_collapse.jpg  krass_juncture1.jpg  krass_juncture2.jpg  krass_solid.jpg 

23 Nov 2021   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Michael, thanks a lot for the advice, it's invaluable!

Everything came out of a single piece.
The only thing - it was necessary to choose the correct order of assigning the fillets to the edges, it depends on how the final shape will be formed.

Image Attachments:
Screenshot_6.png 

23 Nov 2021   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi krass, it looks great! Yes usually it's best to put on largest radius fillets first.

- Michael
23 Nov 2021   [#7] In reply to [#5]
Wouldn't that be a perfect scenario for a loft?

4 curves, one loft (with "cap ends"), Delete the top face, done..

Example:

Image Attachments:
bathtub.jpg 

23 Nov 2021   [#8] In reply to [#6]
Michael, thanks to your advice, I learn new things every time, which allows me to do my exercises better and better!
Thanks for your hard work.

Here's what I ended up with:

Image Attachments:
Screenshot_8.png 

23 Nov 2021   [#9] In reply to [#7]
Dear Death!
This method is good when you are doing something abstract, like a spaceship for the Klingons. ;))
And it is absolutely unacceptable when you are doing work according to drawings and it is required that all dimensions and lines and curves correspond to the original.
Alas, this is so....

However, I am very grateful to you for trying to help me figure out my problem !!!
23 Nov 2021   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Well, if you draw the curves to dimensions, you got the correct tub...

Anyway, I am glad you got it figured out.
25 Nov 2021   [#11] In reply to [#6]
Michael, colleagues, hello!
I keep trying other methods for creating a bath.

With curves, it would seem to work out well... but there is a problem:
when creating a shell (thickness 0.4), the geometry is broken.
And I can't figure out what the problem is. ((
Any advice would be grateful.

Attachments:
vann3.3dm

Image Attachments:
Screenshot_12.png  Screenshot_19.png 

25 Nov 2021   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Make it like this in 3 steps pass ! (separate all first)
(i don't know why that works like this! :)
If the top faces are not like your wish you can make some Boolean Diff by a plane or other lines!

25 Nov 2021   [#13] In reply to [#11]
Hi krass, the Shell function in Moi is pretty limited, it can only thicken a surface that is smooth.

Your shape has creased edges between faces instead of being smooth. When surfaces or curves are offset, the result generated from the offsets will only touch each other automatically at smooth areas. Offsets at a creased spot will have a gap between them as illustrated here:

To fill in this gap the offsets need to be extended and intersected with each other. For surfaces that is a complex process and isn't handled very well by the geometry library that MoI currently uses.

So Shell won't be usable for the kind of geometry that you've created here, to create thickness here you will instead need to model the inside walls directly in a similar way that you've modeled the starting surface, then loft between the edges to build "side walls" and use Join to glue the pieces together.

You might want to try using Construct > Blend to put in the corner pieces for this shape, that will make smooth results that should then have a better chance at being shelled, see attached .3dm . Also to get a flat top you would want to make it a solid with the top capped off and then select that top face as the opening for the shell.

- Michael

Attachments:
vann3_blend_corners.3dm

Image Attachments:
krass_offset1.jpg  krass_offset2.jpg