MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Dimensions in just Inches (or perhaps a request?)

23 Nov 2021   [#1]
Hi,

I draft my woodworking projects using Moi, and then print the drawings for bringing into my woodworking shop. I typically operate in Feet & Inches, but all my physical rulers in the workshop are only in Inches.

1. Is it possible to have measurements in just Inches? No mention of Feet. So a linear dimension might show 14 ½", rather than 1' 2 ½".
2. I couldn't find the above as an option, so instead I switched to Decimal, but then none of my dimensions are suffixed with the " symbol, or have the nice fractional display. While I can add the " symbol to each dimension, there doesn't appear to be a way to apply this as a default. Nor to show fractions for the Decimal unit.

Would appreciate some advice.

cheers
23 Nov 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi makingStuff,

re:
> 1. Is it possible to have measurements in just Inches? No mention of Feet. So a linear
> dimension might show 14 ½", rather than 1' 2 ½".

Sorry no there isn't a way to do that currently. I'll see about adding it in for a future version.

re:
> While I can add the " symbol to each dimension, there doesn't appear to be
> a way to apply this as a default.

No there isn't a way to set the default initial text, the reason why is that different dimension types have different initial text values like a radial dimension has R<> as its initial text value, linear dimensions have <> and text and leaders have blank. So it was not going to work to have just one default text value for all annotations, there would need to be separate defaults for different types. I'll see about adding that in as well though.

One way you can hack it in currently though is to modify the command script for dims, you would do that by editing the file DimLinear.js in the install's commands folder and near the end before the call to factory.commit(), put in:
code:
factory.getCreatedObjects().setProperty( 'text', '<>"' );

factory.commit();

re:
> Nor to show fractions for the Decimal unit.

That's normal though, because decimal display specifically means to not have fractions.

- Michael