MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Fillet problem

11 Nov 2021   [#1]
Hi guys

I should rebuild a transmission of a truck but I have problems with that type of fitting .... how can I solve?

Attachments:
Fillet.3dm

Image Attachments:
Fillet.JPG  Fillet_1.JPG 

11 Nov 2021   [#2]
Here a general Joint after a Cut for have a general gap...(3dm linked) Joint = Blend in French language... sorry for that!
You can of course take the Bulge that is satisfaying for your use...
(align the 2 points at the end of the Joint function) the "Blend" !!!

https://moiscript.weebly.com/uploads/3/9/3/8/3938813/fillet_joint.3dm

But I believe if you have the original piece before your gap (i am a little lazzy for rebuild the original piece :) that a Variable fillet is possible!
(make the minimum general fillet admissible then add variable fillets anywhere you want on the other parts of the path)

11 Nov 2021   [#3]
Looking at your images I would say you tried lofting the shapes. It may be that the loft is the problem. try doing a sweep.You will get a cleaner surface. from there you should get a fillet that works.
11 Nov 2021   [#4]
I think, your problem is that the seams are in same place.
If you rotate before trimming, you don't have this problem.

your version :

after rotating :

Image Attachments:
2021-11-11_20h55_45.png  2021-11-11_20h57_20.png 

11 Nov 2021   [#5] In reply to [#1]
Hi Tony, your object has a little separate slivery strip in it here:

Having that little slivery separate face there is going to get in the way of filleting. And also like Phiro writes above rotating it so the seams are not in the same spot can make it easier to fillet as well. It happens to avoid whatever glitch that the filleter was running into in this particular case.

I've attached a .3dm model file that should fillet ok for you.

- Michael

Attachments:
Fillet2.3dm

Image Attachments:
tony_sliver.jpg 

11 Nov 2021   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi micheal

Thank you both to you and to Phiro, I wanted to ask you but to create that harmonic shape without the connection how could I do, in the sense without showing that it is welded in that point, that is, that it is a single surface as it is in the photo I have attached.
11 Nov 2021   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Tony, shapes that look completely melted and smooth throughout without any distinct separate parts can often be done better in a sub-d modeling program rather than in a CAD program.

One thing you could experiment with though is cutting away some more empty space between the pieces and using the Construct > Blend command to put in a blend surface:
https://moi3d.com/4.0/docs/moi_command_reference7.htm#blend

- Michael
11 Nov 2021   [#8]
I have said "Joint" in my above post : it's the French word for Blend! sorry...
11 Nov 2021   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi micheal

I tried as you told me and I managed to get this result.

I will also try with the last tip.

Thanks

Image Attachments:
Fillet_1.JPG 

11 Nov 2021   [#10]
Cool result!
11 Nov 2021   [#11] In reply to [#6]
Hi Tony, so for blending your current shaping is not good for it because the round part has such a hard change in direction in a small area here:

A blend surface is going to make itself be smooth to that and it's going to need space for that so you'll be limited to something like this:

To make it larger you would need to adjust the shaping of the round part, it needs to be something more like this where it's not such a severe change in direction between the pieces:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
tony_blend1.jpg  tony_blend2.jpg  tony_blend3.jpg 

11 Nov 2021   [#12] In reply to [#1]
Tony -

I agree with Michael that large "melted" surfaces are difficult to join with fillets and continue to look smooth.

I approached this model using a Network consisting of 4 open red curves and 5 closed blue curves.

Rendered in Keyshot.

Ed Ferguson

11 Nov 2021   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Thanks Ed Ferguson

Great job !! .... I'll try to do it like this ;)
12 Nov 2021   [#14]
Different approach whit curve projection on central surface and blend with arm but trimmed a little

12 Nov 2021   [#15]
Variable Fillets

13 Nov 2021   [#16]
Thanks Guys for support!!