MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Obj23dmWireframe.exe question

7 Nov 2021   [#1]
First... still loving Moi! So nice to spend time creating versus remembering CAD rules.

Question: Is a Mac-compatible version of Obj23dmWireframe.exe available? Or something comparable?

I've been trying to sort out the best workflow to convert and import STL files for 'dimensioning' use within Moi. Finding I often want to re-create/modify 3D printer STL files from sources like Thingiverse.

I've successfully used Fusion 360 to import STL files and export as OBJ files and then import into Moi using the importObj shortcut. But the imported files can be a bit slow to convert and manipulate within Moi. I've not yet explored options within Fusion 360 to simplify the exported OBJ file (still hoping to minimize my Fusion 360 time).

Was hoping the Obj23dmWireframe.exe would be a better solution for my simple requirements (but need a Mac version for easier workflow)?

Thanks.
7 Nov 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Scott, I made a port of Obj23dmWireframe for Mac, you can get it now at:
https://moi3d.com/download/Obj23dmWireframe.app.zip

- Michael
8 Nov 2021   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thank you for the Mac version! Much appreciated.
30 Mar 2022   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Same for me I download a lot of STL for my 3D printer but cannot make any changes in MOI3D unless it's an OBJ file. I was able to open a big OBJ file from Thingverse with "Create". I converted a much smaller stl file through an online converter and that is where it's crashing all the time.

Where can I get the Obj23dmWireframe.exe?
30 Mar 2022   [#5] In reply to [#4]
hi

here
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#importobj

Chri
30 Mar 2022   [#6] In reply to [#4]
Hi Suzanne,

re:
> Same for me I download a lot of STL for my 3D printer but cannot make any changes in
> MOI3D unless it's an OBJ file. I was able to open a big OBJ file from Thingverse with "Create".
> I converted a much smaller stl file through an online converter and that is where it's crashing all the time.

The SubD > Create > "From file" command in MoI is expecting to receive an .obj file that has been structured as a control cage for applying sub-d smoothing.

Data that originated from STL will not be configured as such, STL can only hold triangles and a sub-d control cage should be a sparse control cage made up of all quads and not triangles.

MoI is not the right tool to use for editing STL data, MoI is designed to work with CAD solids where a sphere for example is one sphere surface. In an STL file there are only triangles, something like a sphere in STL is not a sphere surface, it's many hundreds or thousands of little flat triangle facets that are just generally shaped to be a sphere.

You will need to use a polygon mesh editing program to load and work on that type of data, MoI is not designed to work with that type of data, that's why you're having difficulty in bringing it in.

> Where can I get the Obj23dmWireframe.exe?

It's available from the "Resources" section of the web site:
http://moi3d.com/resources#Obj23dmWireframe_converter

- Michael